Faculty - Margot Mifflin
E-mail Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone Number: 718-960-8371
Office: Carman Hall, Room 388
Office Hours: TBA
Degrees and Sources of Degrees: B.A., Occidental College; M.A., New York University.
Margot Mifflin writes about art, books, and women's issues. She has written for The New York Times, ARTnews, Entertainment Weekly, Elle, The Believer, and Salon.com. Her blog "Body Politic" (http://margotmifflin.com/) addresses women’s body art and politics. Mifflin teaches English and journalism, and directs the Arts and Culture program at CUNY's Graduate School of Journalism, where she also teaches. She is faculty advisor for the Lehman College campus newspaper, Meridian.
- The Blue Tattoo: The life of Olive Oatman (University of Nebraska Press, 2009 and Bison Books, 2011).
- Bodies of Subversion: A Secret History of Women and Tattoo (Powerhouse Books, 1997, 2001, 2012).
Chapters in Anthologies
- “The Captivity and Return of Olive Oatman” in Violent Encounters: Interviews on Western Massacres, ed, Deborah and Jon Lawrence (University of Oklahoma Press, 2011),
- Oxford Encyclopedia of Women in World History (tattooing and scarification entry), 2007.
- "The Shock of the Real: An Interview with Karen Finley," in The Citizen Artist: 20 Years of Art in the Public Arena; An Anthology from High Performance Magazine. (Critical Press, 1998).
- "The Fallacy of Feminism in Rock" in Rock She Wrote, ed. Evelyn McDonnell and Ann Powers. (Delta, 1996, 1999).
- “More on So,” The Chronicle of Higher Education, December 19, 2011.
- “The Scarlet V,” Proto Magazine, fall 2010.
- “Intimate Lines: Lil Wayne, Sex Educator,” Feministing.org, spring 2009.
- “Life Stories Unlocked by Literature,” The Chronicle of Higher Education, May 25, 2009.
- “The Occidental Tourist” from “The Places He Remembers: Postcards from Barack Obama’s Life,” The New York Times (Op Ed), January 18, 2009.
- “A Blank Human Canvas: The Literary Tattoo Leaps from the Page to Living Parchment,” The Believer (Dec/Jan 2005-6).
for The Blue Tattoo: The Life of Olive Oatman
- Finalist: The Caroline Bancroft Prize, 2010
- The Best of the Best from the University Presses (2010 American Library Association Annual Conference)
- *2009 Southwest Book of the Year•2009 Book of the Year (15 national newspapers)
2009 Excellence in Research, Scholarship, and Creative Works Award, Lehman College