Faculty: Duane Tananbaum
Academic Interests: American foreign relations, twentieth-century American history
Research: American political and diplomatic history, Herbert Lehman
Awards and Fellowships:
- Stuart L. Bernath Article Prize, Society for Historians of American Foreign Relations, 1986
- American Historical Association Congressional Fellowship, 1980-81
- Drawn to Public Service: Political Cartoons from the Papers of Herbert H. Lehman (New York: Columbia University Libraries, 2009)
- The Bricker Amendment Controversy: A Test of Eisenhower's Political Leadership. Ithaca, N.Y.: Cornell University Press, 1988.
- “President Bush, Congress, and the War Powers: Panama and the Persian Gulf,” in Meena Bose and Rosanna Perotti, eds., From Cold War to New World Order: The Foreign Policy of George Bush (Westport, CT: Greenwood Press, 2003), pp. 193-219
- "Contempt for Congress: The Reagan Administration, Congress, and the War Powers Resolution," Ronald Reagan's America. Eds. Eric Schmertz, Natalie Datlof, and Alexei Ugrinsky. Westport CT: Greenwood, 1997.
- “’I Can leave the Combination of My Safe to Colonel Lehman’: Herbert Lehman and Franklin Roosevelt: Working Together to Improve the Lives of New Yorkers and People All Over the World,” New York History 87 (2006): 88-133.
Work in progress
- “I Will Not Compromise with My Conscience”: A Political Biography of Herbert H. Lehman (Forthcoming, Albany: SUNY Press)
Last modified: Oct 25, 2011