Fulbright Scholarship Opportunity:
Queen's University Belfast Summer Institute
The Fulbright Commission Queen’s University Belfast Summer Institute is a four-week cultural and academic programme for US students held at Queen’s University Belfast in Northern Ireland, UK.
The theme of the institute is Understanding Ireland: Northern Perspectives
Participants in this summer school will get the opportunity to:
• Develop their knowledge in the academic programme in Irish Studies taught by world leaders in their field and receive credit they can transfer to their US University.
• Learn about Northern Ireland in terms of its political, economic and cultural relationships within the United Kingdom and in the world
• Gain academic credit that can be transferred back to their home institution in the US
• Participate in field trips to various cultural and historical sites in Northern Ireland
• Participate in a range of social events
• Interact with a range of people including politicians, police officers, community workers and people involved in conflict resolution
• Develop their learning skills, improving research and communication skills
• Meet people from all over the world, make friends and experience life as a real student in the UK
• Become an ambassador for studying in the United Kingdom, and for the prestigious internationally renowned Queen’s University Belfast.
The institute will take place from 15 July – 10 August 2013
For further details and scholarship information, please visit the Fulbright Website.
Study Irish Gaelic in Connemara, Ireland
July 20 - August 17, 2012. CUNY Students ask us about Stocks Scholarships and Gaeltacht Summer Awards!
Connemara, County Galway, is a place of wild beauty. On the west coast of
Ireland, north of the Aran Islands, lies the village of An Cheathrú Rua. The
village is an important rural center in the Connemara Irish-speaking region.
Buffered on all sides by other Irish-speaking areas, mountains, and water, An
Cheathrú Rua exists in a region where the Irish language continues to be the
community language spoken in homes and in shops. An Cheathrú Rua has several
beaches that serve the village including a coral beach know as "Trá an
The National University of Ireland, founded in 1845, serves over 15,000 students. Its "Acadamh na hOllscolaíochta Gaeilge" (Irish Language University Academy) serves native Irish speakers and students of Irish at satellite campuses in different Irish-language villages. The Irish language classes will be held at the An Cheathrú Rua facility which is called "Áras Mháirtín Uí Chadhain"(The Máirtín Ó Cadhain Building). Students live in local Irish speaking homes and receive their meals there as well. In addition to Irish language classes, students will also be able to participate in social activities and cultural lectures.
- Elementary Irish 1&2 (6 undergraduate credits) OR
- Intermediate Irish 1&2 (6 undergraduate credits) OR
- Advanced Irish 1&2 (6 undergraduate credits)
- Program Dates: July 20 to August 17, 2012
- Eligibility Requirement: 2.75 GPA or better
- Basic Program Cost: 2395 Euro
- Costs include:
- Tuition for 6 undergraduate credits
- Housing (sharing) and three meals per day
- Orientation and program activities
- Social/cultural program
- Transportation from Galway City to An Cheathrú Rua on first day
- Transportation from An Cheathrú Rua to Galway City on last day
- Costs do not include
- International airfare ($750 approx.)
- Personal spending money
- Health and accident insurance ($130 approx. - required)
- Local transportation to and from airport to Galway City ($30 approx.)
- International airfare ($750 approx.)
Deadline: The extended deadline for application is April 16, 2012. To join the group, e-mail email@example.com indicating your interest and then visit the Department of Languages and Literatures Irish Language Program website for the application forms as well as forms for the "Gaeltacht Summer Awards" both with the deadline of April 16, 2012.
Prof. Tomás Ó h-Íde (Ihde)
Department of Languages and Literatures
Lehman College, CUNY
250 Bedford Park Blvd. West
Bronx, NY 10468
Last modified: Jan 24, 2013