Languages and Literatures

Information for Students

New Language Requirement

In the new Pathways curriculum, the foreign language requirement is generally two 3-credit foreign language courses of the same language. Students currently enrolled at Lehman are not permitted to enroll in foreign language courses at other colleges without first consulting the Chair of the Department of Languages and Literatures at Lehman College. Students in the Honors College program should consult with their advisor regarding foreign language requirements.

All elementary level courses have been changed to 3-credit equivalents.

101 (4 hours, 4 credits ) ---> 111 (4 hours, 3 credits )

102 (5 hours, 5 credits ) ---> 112 (4 hours, 3 credits )

For Spanish Heritage Sequence:

103 (4 hours, 4 credits ) ---> 113 (4 hours, 3 credits )

104 (5 hours, 5 credits ) ---> 114 (4 hours, 3 credits )



1. If a student is placed at the 201 or 203 level or above, they can fulfill the foreign language requirement by either taking two courses in the language or by taking one course in the language and one of the following: ENG223, ENG 226, ENG 227, HIS 240, HIS 246, HIS 249, PHI 169, PHI 170, PHI 171 and POL 229.

2. If a student has taken ESL at Lehman College at the 103 level or above, they can complete the foreign language requirement by taking one course in their native language at the 200 or 300 level.


3. Transfer students should submit any course work in foreign languages to the Admissions Office. The Department of Languages and Literatures cannot consider coursework taken elsewhere until evaluated by Admissions.

4. Students who have completed a foreign language in high school as part of the recognized Advanced Placement or International Baccalaureate program should present those scores to the Department Office. We do not accept CLEP scores in fulfillment of the foreign language requirement.


5. If a transfer student has graduated with an associates degree from CUNY or SUNY, it is not necessary to take a foreign language.

6. Students in the Adult Degree Program are not required to take a foreign language.

Please see the flowchart and Gen Ed page for more information.

How to get Permission for the Off-Campus Courses (ARB, CHI, GER, WFL)

In order to get permission for the off-campus courses offered at Manhattan College or College of Mount Saint Vincent, you must e-mail Prof. Asako Tochika.

In your e-mail, please include:

  • Your name
  • Your CUNY First Empl ID number
  • Language and the course number that you would like to take
  • Prior knowledge of the language you like to take

When you register for the off-campus courses at Lehman, you will also be registered at Manhattan College and CMSV as well. You will be given access to their library and online resources once your account is set up. In order to create your account at Manhattan/CMSV, you will be asked to send your personal information in your second e-mail once you are given permission to register.

For permission and other information, please e-mail Prof. Asako Tochika at:


Spanish and French Placement Exams

Test takers must bring a photo identity card and a pencil. There is no registration for these exams. Drop in five to ten minutes before the scheduled start time. These exams will be used to place students in SPA (Spanish) and FRE (French) courses only.

For Italian placement exam, contact Prof. Coller at

For Japanese placement exam, contact Prof. Tochika at

For more information, contact the Department of Languages and Literatures, CA, Room 257, 718-960-8215.

Language Lab Schedule - Click here

Study Abroad - Click here


Last modified: Jan 20, 2015

Text Only Version of Site | Make This Website Talk