Skip to Content
YouTube videos on Majoring in Philosophy
Good Press for Philosophy
- Tech Leave You Cold? Major in Philosophy! "Philosophy majors generally do quite well for themselves in whatever career path they choose"
- The secret habits of the most effective philosophers: "Be regular and orderly in your life so that you may be violent and original in your work"
- The many, many reasons to study philosophy: "Philosophy delivers highly marketable, highly transferable skills"
- Be employable, study philosophy! "I tell people the most useful classes I took were all in philosophy"
- Did you know that Philosophy Majors do better, overall, than all other majors on the GRE (Graduate Record Examination)? Philosophy is the best overall preparation for graduate school.
- Philosophy – the most practical major: "It is also a tool... for thinking about everything else, and every profession from law and medicine to motorcycle maintenance"
- National Public Radio's "All Things Considered" radio show on philosophy at LaGuardia Community College
- The New York Times on why it is smart to study philosophy: "It’s a major that helps them become quick learners and gives them strong skills in writing, analysis and critical thinking"
- The Wall Street Journal on how being a philosopher is a great job
- The Atlantic magazine on why you should study philosophy in order to succeed in business
- The Times Higher Education Supplement on how philosophy majors "salaries more than double by the middle of their careers, putting them among the highest-salaried groups"
- US News & World Report on how "in a world where people change careers many times, the skills that philosophy teaches you are wonderfully transferable"
- BBC News on how philosophy students "are the most satisfied in higher education"
- The Guardian newspaper on what philosophy majors offer to employers: "Philosophy graduates... are in growing demand from employers"
- Who has a degree in philosophy? Many people, it turns out--from Pope John Paul II and Susan Sarandon, Angela Davis and Wes Anderson, to Carl Ichan and Carly Fiorina.
- From John Stuart Mill's harm principle, to Aristotle's doctrine of the mean, to the principle of charity, here are the greatest principles of philosophy
A Career in Philosophy