Lehman offers a program based upon the nationally recognized Child Development Associate (CDA) Competency Standards for Preschool Children. Successful completion of this program is a first step toward receiving a credential from the Council for Early Childhood Professional Recognition. Students enrolled in the program receive help in preparing for the assessment process leading to the CDA credential. *NOTE: In addition to the education requirement, which this certificate fulfills, students must meet a 480-hour field experience requirement to earn a CDA credential.
Requirements: Students must complete the eight required topics (125 hours) with a 70 percent average on exams and projects and attend at least 80 percent of classroom instruction for each course. Participants may start the program in any term. Classes meet twice a week on Wednesdays and Saturdays. Prerequisites: High school diploma or GED or permission of the program coordinator; writing proficiency.
(125 hours). Tuition may be for full program or by semester. Financial aid may be available to program participants (see here). Those with 6 months or more recent experience in Early Childhood field may be eligible for NYS Educational Incentive Scholarship Program EIP grant www.ecetp.pdp.albany.edu or call 1-800-295-9616. NOTE: Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) college credits may be available through Lehman College Adult Degree program to those who complete this class.
- Principles of Child Growth and Development
- Supporting Children’s Social and Emotional Development
- Planning a Safe, Healthy Learning Environment
- Promoting Children’s Physical and Intellectual Development
- Establishing Productive Relationships with Families
- Observing and Recording Children’s Behavior
- Managing an Effective Program Operation
- Committment to Professionalism and Seminar on Child Abuse (NOTE: This seminar does not satisfy New York State requirement for Child Abuse Identification and Reporting.)
- Child Care Program
42 sessions / 125 hours / COTC / $1195
- Child Care Program: Fall
23 sessions / 69 hours / COTC / $660*
*Those who attended SU also, pay $340.
- Child Care Program: Spring
19 sessions / 56 hours / COTC / $535
- Child Care Program: Summer
11 sessions / 33 hours / COTC / $320
- Child Abuse Identification and Reporting
CAP 10/$39 Visit www.lehman-ce.org for more information. NO REFUNDS are applicable to this online workshop. You will be e-mailed login and password information within 24-48 business hours.
- Needs of Students with Autism Workshop (online)
SWA 10/$39 Visit www.lehman-ce.org for more information.NO REFUNDS are applicable to this online workshop. You will be e-mailed login and password information within 24-48 business hours.
- First Aid (AHA American Heart Association Cert.)
MAS 17 /1 session / 3 hours / COTC / $39
- CPR: BLS (Basic Life Support) with AED (Required for CNA, EKG/PLB, PCT Tech)
CPR 100 /1 session / 6 hours / COTC / $115