Career Success Initiative
The Department of Economics and Business in partnership with the Career Exploration & Development Center is pleased to announce the launch of the Career Success Initiative. Funding for this program is provided by the CUNY Career Innovation Fund. The initiative is open to all students, with an emphasis on students interested in pursuing or advancing careers in the areas of Accounting, Business Administration, Economics, Finance, and Human Resources Management.
Lehman’s Comprehensive Career Development Program is designed to ensure that students are engaged in an active learning academic environment where there are supportive experiential exercises that allow them to build skills and credentials to help them launch their career or help further their professional goals.
The four major program components are:
- Employer Engagement - ensure employer needs are understood by partnering with employers in recruitment efforts and in developing curricular matters
- Student Engagement - provide hands on learning opportunities to prepare students for career exploration and gain experiential learning opportunities
- Faculty Engagement – develop industry-informed academics through a review of regional economic needs, collaborating with employers and using employer and student feedback to assist in course planning and curriculum design
- Infrastructure and Assessment – conduct industry, employer, and student needs assessment to develop hands on learning activities while existing campus resources will be used to assess student engagement and award micro-credentials.
Program Information for Students:
Motivated students interested in pursuing or advancing careers in the areas of Accounting, Business Administration, Economics, Finance, and Human Resources Management may earn up to three (3) credit and noncredit experiential learning credentials during the 2018 – 2019 academic year.
Students who participate in four (4) Career Services sponsored workshops will earn a Career Success Initiative Badge issued by the Career Exploration & Development Center. A downloadable calendar of career workshops (PDF) with registration instructions is available online.
- Credential earned: Career Success Initiative Badge.
Students who earn the Career Success Initiative will be permitted to enroll in CED 105 Introduction to Career Development for 2 credits. The course will examine individual and societal attitudes toward work, introduce concepts of the work ethic, and explore career options. A goal of the course is successful attainment of an experiential learning opportunity or in other Lehman internship programs.
- Credential earned: Course credit for CED 105.
Upon successful completion of the of the CED 105 course, students will be permitted to enroll in either BBA 370 Internship in Business for 3 credits OR CED 355 Perspectives on the World of Work for 3 credits.
BBA 370 Internship in Business is a 3-credit course designed for traditional college students seeking to gain entry to their career. In this course, students reflect critically on their academic internship and how to build upon their work experience to advance their career. This course helps to establish how coursework relates to a student’s job and career plan and to help identify additional skills a student may need.
CED 355 Perspectives on the World of Work is a 3-credit course designed specifically for Adult Learners who are currently employed full time in their desired field. This course will focus on “leading from their current position” and will engage students in exercises to prepare them to grow their careers to the next level.
- Credential earned: Course credit for either BBA 370 or CED 355.
For additional informational information visit the Lehman College Career Development Center or Department of Economics and Business.