Sean Stein Smith
Office: Carman Hall, Room 266
- D.B.A., Capella Univ.
- M.B.A., Fairleigh Dickinson Univ.
- M.S., Fairleigh Dickinson Univ.
- B.S., Fairleigh Dickinson Univ.
Dr. Stein Smith is an Assistant Professor in the Business and Economics department. Before transitioning to academia full time, beginning with his appointment to a faculty position at Rutgers University, he worked in several corporate financial planning and accounting roles in both the for-profit and non-profit sectors. Dr. Stein Smith is actively engaged in the accounting community, having been awarded the NJCPA 30 under 30 in 2015, the Institute of Management Accountants Young Professional of the Year Award in 2016, and currently serves on the Fairleigh Dickinson University Alumni Association Board of Governors. Sean is also a member of the 2017 Class of the AICPA Leadership Academy.
His research interests and areas of expertise include integrated financial reporting, non-financial reporting, and the intersection of technology, strategic planning, and accounting. Dr. Stein Smith is a contributor to Thrive Global, publishes a weekly column for Inc.com, and is a member of the NJCPA Content Advisory Board, where he is routinely featured in the state society magazine. As a member of the AICPA Financial Literacy Commission, he has been quoted, interviewed, and recorded in numerous regional and national publications on personal finance issues.
- Under Contract. Blockchain, Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Financial Services – Implications and Applications for Financial Professionals. (2020).
- Under Contract. Integrated Reporting Management: Analysis and Applications for Creating Value. Taylor and Francis (2019).
- Common Sense Finance: Finance for Individuals and Entrepreneurs. (2018). Business Expert Press.
- Strategic Management Accounting: Delivering Value in a Changing Business Environment Through Integrated Reporting. (2017). Business Expert Press.
- The Effect of Integrated Financial Reporting On Financial Performance. (2016). Lambert Press.
- Springer Proceed. Business, Economics, Lotfi Tadj and Ajay K. Garg (Eds): Emerging Challenges in Business, Optimization, Technology, and Industry (2018).
Peer Reviewed Articles
- Accepted. Journal of Theoretical Economic Letters. How Cryptocurrencies are Changing What CPAs Need to Know About Fraud Prevention (October 2018).
- Accepted. Journal of Theoretical Accounting Research. Blockchain and Audit – Implications, Challenges, and Opportunities for the Profession and Business Professionals (October 2018).
- Accounting and Finance Research. Digitization and Financial Reporting – How Technology Innovation May Drive the Shift Toward Continuous Accounting. (August 2018).
- The CPA Journal. Blockchain Basics and Hands on Guidance. (June 2018).
- Journal of Theoretical Economic Letters. A Quantitative Analysis of Integrated Reporting via CAGR on Publicly Traded U.S. Corporations Listed in the S&P 500 (April 2018).
- Management Accounting Quarterly. Sustainability: How Accountants Can Add Value and Deliver Results. (March 2018).
- International Journal of Accounting and Financial Reporting. Does Sustainability Increase Financial Performance? A quantitative comparison between the S&P 500 and S&P 500 ESG Factor Weighted Index. (December 2017).
- Accounting and Finance Research. The Financial Effects of Strategic Divestment – An Analysis of GE Capital. (October 2017).
- International Journal of Research Studies in Educational Technology. Using technology in business education. (March 2017).
- Journal of Business & Economic Policy Integrated Financial Reporting & Management Accounting – An Opportunity for Strategic Leadership. (March 2017).
- Internal Journal of Business and Social Science. Strategic Management Accounting – A Strategic Role for Accountancy. (February 2017).
- Journal of Business Management and Invention. Accountant as Strategist. (January 2017).
- IOSR Journal in Business and Management Strategy In A Digitally Disrupted Environment (October 2016).
- CPE sessions hosted by CPAacademy.org, focusing on blockchain, bitcoin, and the implications for accounting (multiple sessions)
- Interview with China Global TV Network - Blockchain and Finance - August 2018
- Interview with China Global TV Network - Blockchain and Finance - May 2018
- Interview with Floqast – Accounting Technology – April 2018
- Interview with TDAmeritrade Network – Tax Reform – January 2018
- Interview with The Daily CPA – Blockchain for Accounting and Accounting Education
- Interview with China Global TV Network – Blockchain and Finance -December 2017
- AICPA 360 Degrees of Financial Literacy – College Costs – April 2017
- International Federation of Accountants – Integrated Reporting – April 2017
- PICPA Podcast – CPA Conversations – Fake News and Its Effect on Financial Literacy – March 2017
- Financial Management Network (Division of Smart Pros) – November 2016 link1 link2
Selected Other Publications
- Weekly Inc column focusing on technology, taxes, and entrepreneurship
- Sage Article Series focusing on blockchain, artificial intelligence and accounting
- NJCPA - Career Options for Accounting Graduates (August 2018)
- NJCPA – Leveraging Technology to Build Your Career (August 2018)
- NJCPA – 5 Steps to Becoming an Adjunct Professor (August 2018)
- IBM – How blockchain can drive sustainability accounting (August 2018)
- Accounting Today – How blockchain can help accountants address food safety (August 2018)
- Accounting Today – Accountants to Watch: Dr. Sean Stein Smith (July 2018)
- NJCPA – How CPAs Can Deliver Value Via Non-Financial Reporting (June 2018)
- Accounting Web – 5 Things Firms Need to Consider About Blockchain (June 2018)
- AICPA – Public vs. Private Blockchains: What CPAs should know (June 2018)
- IBM – Blockchain, the GDPR and what accounting professionals need to know (May 2018)
- AICPA – How to take the stress out of debt (April 2018)
- Accounting Today – What accountants need to know about blockchain (March 2018)
- NJCPA – A Profession in Transition (February 2018)
- IBM – Blockchain, disruption, and the financial services landscape (January 2018)
- Journal of Accounting – Integrating blockchain and artificial intelligence into the accounting curriculum (November 2017)
- NJCPA – Analyzing Financial Statements: How CPAs Can Deliver Value (November 2017)
- Accounting Web – Sustainability Opportunities for CPAs (November 2017)
- International Federation of Accountants – Blockchain, AI, and Accounting (November 2017)
- Accounting Today – What Accountants Need to Know About Blockchain (November 2017)
- NJCPA Magazine – The AICPA Leadership Academy – Why All CPAs Should Apply (October 2017)
- NJCPA Magazine – How to Improve New Jersey’s Credit Rating (Sept/Oct 2017)
- NJBIZ – What Tax Reform Could Mean for New Jersey Businesses (September 2017)
- CGMA Advantage – Thought Readership (August 2017)
- Accounting Today – How CPAs Can Join The Global Sustainability Conversation (August 2017)
- Accounting Web – Giving Back Can Jumpstart Your Professional Growth (August 2017)
- NJCPA Magazine - How CPAs Can Go Global (July/August 2017)
- Accounting Web – 3 Skills CPAs Can Sharpen Over the Summer (June 2017)
- Strategic Finance – CMAs, Financial Literacy, and Business Strategy (April 2017)
- NJBIZ – 5 Finance Concepts Millennial Entrepreneurs Need to Know (April 2017)
- NJCPA Magazine – Leveraging Data – How CPAs Can Make Better Decisions (March/April 2017)
- Accounting Today – Keeping Millennial Accountants Engaged (April 2017)
- IFAC – Auditing in the Era of the Integrated Thinking (February 2017)
- Millennialeadership.com – Key Tips To Help Supercharge Your Finances (February 2017)
- Accounting Web – CPAs, Fake News, and Financial Literacy (February 2017)
- BizEd (published by AACSB) – Creating a Rich Online Learning Environment – January 2017
- NJCPA Magazine – Non-GAAP Measures in Financial Planning (January 2017)
- Commerce and Industry Association of New Jersey – Technology That Is Good For Business (January 2017)
- Accounting Web – How Firms Can Develop a Path to Leadership for Millennials (December 2016)
- Commerce and Industry Association of New Jersey – Financial Literacy for Business (December 2016)
- NJCPA Magazine – Non-GAAP Financial Information – What’s In A Number (November/December 2016)
- International Federation of Accounting – Integrated Reporting: An Emerging Opportunity (November 2016)
- Accounting Today – The Accounting Pivot (October 2016)
- Journal of Accountancy – 4 ways accountants can get more out of social media –September 2016
- How CPAs can add value through integrated reporting – AccountingWeb – September 2016
- NJCPA Magazine – What Got You Here Won’t Get Your There (September/October 2016)
- Strategic Finance – Leveraging Online Learning (August 2016)
- NJCPA – The CPAs Role In Business Process Management - (July 2016)