The over-arching purpose and objectives of the MATH-UP 5th year program are designed to meet the intent and spirit of the TQP and to achieve the goal of increasing mathematics achievement (and reducing the achievement gap) by increasing the number of childhood educators who are:
- Diverse and representatives of the communities in the Bronx by recruitment, rigorous selections and preparation to enter teaching of 125 Hispanic, African-American and other students from underrepresented groups who are Bronx resident undergraduates.
- Content strong in Mathematics and Literacy by developing an innovative and replicable model of teacher preparation in a 5th year program that is content-enriched, school-focused, needs-based, and integrates with professional development and induction along a continuum of teacher learning.
- Datawise and prepared to differentiate instruction for students who speak languages other than English and who have special learning needs by integrating assessment knowledge and skills from complementary resources in teacher preparation, professional development, induction, and sustained through the development of videos cases.
- Highly Qualified in both childhood education and bilingual/ELL methods of instruction to impact student achievement with a math-rich, assessment-focused BA or BS/MSED program that includes courses in meeting the needs of and differentiating instruction for students who are bilingual/ELL.
- Inspired to make a long-term commitment to remain in teaching to the needs of the urban populations in Bronx schools by teaching in the communities where they live.
Program students will receive extensive support throughout their preparation, professional development and induction years as beginning teachers through an innovative and replicable model of teacher preparation in a 5th year program that is content-enriched, school-focused, learner based, and integrated with professional development and induction.
Students will be prepared to differentiate instruction for students who speak languages other than English and who have special learning needs by integrating assessment knowledge and skills from complementary resources in teacher preparation, professional development and induction.
Each MATH-UP Student will receive the following equipment and support:
- A fully functional laptop programmed with Microsoft Office as well as updated anti-virus software.
- Placement in a clinical residency in one of the carefully selected participating Bronx schools.
- Textbooks and other materials necessary for school-based Professional Development and students’ success will be provided.
- A mentor who is a licensed teacher.
Last modified: Mar 12, 2013