Noyce Scholars are chosen from a competitive pool of applicants, but what is most important to our program is that students are both qualified and have a passion for teaching. Students are selected from a diverse group of backgrounds and experiences that prove to enrich their teaching style and effectiveness.
- Applicants to the Noyce Scholarship Program must meet the following criteria:
- Academic performance in the major: overall GPA of 3.25 in the major;
- A written essay showing an interest in teaching mathematics and/or science to middle and high school students;
- Personal interview;
- Two letters of recommendation, one of which must come from a Lehman College or CUNY science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) faculty who can comment on the applicant’s academic achievement;
- Commitment to four years of teaching in a high needs middle or high school after the successful completion of the three-year Program;
- A US citizen or permanent resident;
- Ability to graduate within the prescribed timeline to complete undergraduate and graduate degrees within 3 years beginning in the junior year.
The program will recruit each year, 8 mathematics or science majors for the next three years.