Welcome to Graduate Teaching Fellows at Lehman College
The mission of the Lehman College Graduate Teaching Fellows program is to recruit high-quality, dedicated individuals and prepare them to become teachers who can raise student achievement in New York City's neediest classrooms.
Lehman College Teaching Fellows are people just like you, people who have decided to use their diverse experiences, knowledge, and achievements to positively affect the lives of students. At the same time, Teaching Fellows will pursue their own education through a subsidized master's degree program. Previous education coursework or teaching experience is not required to participate in the fellowship.
Note: For any questions specific to the New York City Teaching Fellows, visit NYC Teaching Fellows: http://www.nycteachingfellows.org/
Eligibility for Admissions
To be eligible for the Teaching Fellows program, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Have a Bachelor's degree with a minimum GPA of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale). (Note: If you received a Bachelor's degree from a non-U.S. university, you will need to have your transcripts evaluated by a foreign education translation service.)
- Either be a U.S. citizen, or a permanent resident with a valid green card or speak fluent English.
- Not have previously benefited from a NYC Department of Education tuition assistance program (other than career training for paraprofessionals).
- Not have previously received an Unsatisfactory rating from the NYC Department of Education.
- Not have completed eighteen or more college credits in teacher education or a minor in education before beginning training with NYCTF.
- Not be certified to teach.
- Not have worked as a regular, full-time teacher in a New York City public school at any time since September 2002.
- Not have previously withdrawn from the Fellowship after beginning training.
TF Application Process
Those interested in applying for the NYC Teaching Fellows program must do the following:
- Read the website
- Check your eligibility
- Apply (Application includes: 2 essays, resume and online application form)
- Interview (Only if invited)
Admissions information specific to applying to Graduate School at Lehman College
- Application form
- Official copies of transcripts from all colleges attended (Must include date degree is earned)
- Minimum of 2 letters of recommendation (academic and/or professional) Note: Some programs require 3 letters
- Typed career objective essay (Special Education applicants also require a scholarly paper.)
- Complete Immunization Forms (Inc. 2 Measles, 1 Mumps, 1 Rubella Vaccination or MMRs. Read and sign Meningitis Response section.) Visit the Student Health Center for details.
- If born outside the U.S., bring appropriate original document of current status. (I.E. Green Card, U.S. Passport, Certificate of Naturalization, Passport with I-94 Card, etc.)
- If name on documents (transcripts, etc.) differs from the name on your application, please bring in a legal document.
(This is found in the folders students receive prior to becoming matriculated.)
Last modified: Oct 13, 2011