What we are working on now?
- Annual Conference
- Becas Scholarship Program
- Our Blog
- DBAF Anchoring Achievement in Mexican Communities Initiative
What are our goals?
The following are the goals of the Jaime Lucero Mexican Studies Institute:
- Promote the creation of courses, majors, minors, and programs of study in campuses across the CUNY system.
- Lehman College currently offers a minor in Mexican and Mexican-American Studies.
- Promote enrollment, retention, and graduation of Mexican and Mexican-American students in CUNY.
- An annual academic conference on cutting-edge research topics
- Events and other programming: film series, lectures, workshops, and more on Mexican topics
- Liaison, resource, and epicenter for the coming together of Community-Based Organizations (CBOs) for the promotion of cultural, educational, and social programming for the larger Mexican community and all of New York City; social services; immigration issues; civil, human, and labor rights issues.
- Service-Learning: undergraduate and graduate students will be able to take advantage of a wealth of internships, research assistantships, and other service-learning opportunities with a select number of cultural, diplomatic, social, and economic institutions working with the Mexican population in New York City, including: Mano a Mano: Mexican Culture Without Borders, Masa-MexEd, the Mexican Cultural Institute, the Mexican Consulate, El Museo del Barrio, Mixteca Organization, and Asociación Tepeyac de New York.
- Creation of Carlos Fuentes Visiting Professorship
- Development of endowment for scholarships for Mexican and Mexican-American students in conjunction with Becas
- Establishment of exchange programs and visiting professorships with Mexican universities, including Benemérita Universidad Autónoma de Puebla
- Distance learning: facilitation with academic departments in CUNY system of collaborative team teaching of online and hybrid courses involving Mexico- and U.S.-based scholars in institutions of higher education.
- The Institute's first-year focus will be on Mexican indigenous languages: coordination with departments to offer formal indigenous-language instruction (Mixteco and Nahuatl), informal conversation hours, workshops for service providers, and conferences.
We need you!
Please email us at email@example.com for more information and to join our efforts.
To donate to our scholarship fund, please contact or mail contributions to the CUNY Institute of Mexican Studies, c/o the Lehman College Foundation, Shuster Hall, Rm 318, 250 Bedford Park Blvd. West, Bronx NY 10468 (718-960-8766).