2015-2016 FAFSA Filing Information
File your financial aid applications for academic year 2015-2016 FAFSA on the Web.
- FAFSA Code: 007022
- TAP Code: 1412
Watch the following videos for help in completing your FAFSA for the Summer 2015, Fall 2015 and Spring 2016 semesters.
The videos were developed by the University of California at Santa Barbara and that institution has generously offered to share them with CUNY.
You can ensure successful completion of your FAFSA and TAP applications by following the steps below.
FAFSA application process
- Gather your family’s 2014 federal and 2014 NYS Tax Returns and all supporting documents. Depending upon your family’s circumstances, you may also need other documentation.
- If you and/or your parent(s) are required to file a 2014 federal tax return but have not yet filed, we suggest waiting until the tax return(s) have been completed before filing your FAFSA.
- In order to electronically sign a new or renewal FAFSA, you will need your federal (FAFSA) PIN. If your parent must sign your FAFSA, they will need a PIN too. If you (and/or your parent) don’t have a federal PIN or if you (and/or your parent) have forgotten your PIN, you can obtain or retrieve the PIN at: http://www.pin.ed.gov.
- Complete the 2015-16 FAFSA at http://www.fafsa.ed.gov.
- When the FAFSA asks you to do so, click “Link to IRS” (i.e., the IRS Data Retrieval Tool). At that point, your FAFSA will be automatically saved and the link will transfer you to the IRS Web site. At the IRS Web site, enter the requested information. Upon validating your identity, the IRS will display your (and if requested, your parent’s) 2014 IRS tax information. You then have the option of:
- Transferring IRS data to your FAFSA or
- Returning to your FAFSA and manually entering your (and if required, your parent’s) 2014 IRS tax return data
- If you choose to transfer the IRS tax data, information from the IRS will be used to answer appropriate FAFSA questions and you will be subsequently returned to your FAFSA. If you choose NOT to transfer data from the IRS, you will required to obtain “official” IRS copies of your (and if you are a dependent student, your parent’s) 2014 IRS tax information tax returns.
- If you choose NOT to transfer data from the IRS, or are not eligible to use the data retrieval tool, determination of your financial aid eligibility may be delayed because official IRS tax returns or official tax return transcripts won’t be available until late July or early August.
** Word to the wise: use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool!!**
Do not forget to enter Lehman College's FAFSA college code: 007022
- Do not forget to "Submit" your FAFSA application.
TAP/APTS application filing options:
- After you have submitted your FAFSA, you will be shown a FAFSA Confirmation Page, which contains a link marked "for NYS residents only." Click it. Be sure to enter Lehman College's TAP code: 1412.”
- Cut and paste the following link into your browser: https://www.tapweb.org/totw/. It will take you to the TAP application website.
Within four days of submitting your FAFSA (14 days if you do not sign the FAFSA with a PIN) an e-mail link that will take you to the federal website where you can print out your SAR. Review your SAR carefully. Lehman College will also receive an electronic version of your FAFSA. After the College reviews your FAFSA, you may be asked to document the accuracy of the information (“Verification”). You must respond to all of the Financial Aid Office’s requests for clarification and documents promptly. Failure to respond to quickly will result in the delay or denial of financial assistance. All documentation must be submitted in person. All mailed and faxed documentation will be returned to the sender.
Need more help or information, click here.
You may also review your processed application on your CUNYfirst Student Center. Review the ‘To do List’ found in the right panel for information regarding documents you will need to submit in order to complete your financial aid processing.
Avoid the long lines and file as early as possible!
Remember to follow-up on your application/award award status.
Last modified: Jan 29, 2015