Financial Aid

Useful Sites and Info

U.S. Department of Education

For questions regarding the processing of your FAFSA application or to request a copy of your SAR, call 1-319-337-5665 (not a toll free number). To obtain general information regarding Federal Student Aid call 1-800-433-3243 or click here.

For TDD (hearing-impaired assistance) call 1-800-730-8913. To complete a FAFSA application on the Web or to make electronic corrections (consult with the Financial Aid Office before making any corrections) to an already submitted FAFSA, click here. For technical assistance regarding FAFSA on the Web, call 1-800-801-0576.

Personal Information Numbers (PIN) are necessary for accessing numerous US Department of Education data systems containing personal information. For example, your PIN will allow you to access your student loan history (, file of an electronic Renewal FAFSA (regular electronic FAFSA filing does not require a PIN) and make electronic corrections to a previously submitted FAFSA application (consult the Financial Aid Office prior to making any changes). To request your PIN, click here.

The Federal Direct Loan Servicing Center can answer questions regarding your Direct Loan's deferment, forbearance, outstanding balance and payment status. The Federal Direct Loan Servicing Center telephone number is 1-800-848-0979. If you are interested consolidating, existing non-Direct Loan(s) into a Direct Loan call 1-800-557-7392.

Repayment of Direct Loans are made to the:
Direct Loan Servicing Center
P.O. Box 4609
Utica, New York 13504-4606

For more information visit the Direct Loan Services website. was designed by students for students and features first-person accounts of students who overcame challenges to going to college such as peer pressure, lack of family support, and financial barriers. It provides relevant, comprehensive information about why to go, how to go, and how to pay for college.

Federal Debt Collection Services

Borrowers of any kind of federal student loan can find out who is handling the account and where to send payments by calling Debt Collection Services at 1-800-621-3115.

Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) (20 U.S.C. § 1232g; 34 CFR Part 99) is a Federal law that protects the privacy of student education records. The law applies to all schools that receive funds under an applicable program of the U.S. Department of Education.

FERPA gives parents certain rights with respect to their children's education records. These rights transfer to the student when he or she reaches the age of 18 or attends a school beyond the high school level. Students to whom the rights have transferred are "eligible students."

  • Parents or eligible students have the right to inspect and review the student's education records maintained by the school. Schools are not required to provide copies of records unless, for reasons such as great distance, it is impossible for parents or eligible students to review the records. Schools may charge a fee for copies.
  • Parents or eligible students have the right to request that a school correct records which they believe to be inaccurate or misleading. If the school decides not to amend the record, the parent or eligible student then has the right to a formal hearing. After the hearing, if the school still decides not to amend the record, the parent or eligible student has the right to place a statement with the record setting forth his or her view about the contested information.
  • Generally, schools must have written permission from the parent or eligible student in order to release any information from a student's education record. However, FERPA allows schools to disclose those records, without consent, to the following parties or under the following conditions (34 CFR § 99.31):
    • School officials with legitimate educational interest;
    • Other schools to which a student is transferring;
    • Specified officials for audit or evaluation purposes;
    • Appropriate parties in connection with financial aid to a student;
    • Organizations conducting certain studies for or on behalf of the school;
    • Accrediting organizations;
    • To comply with a judicial order or lawfully issued subpoena;
    • Appropriate officials in cases of health and safety emergencies; and
    • State and local authorities, within a juvenile justice system, pursuant to specific State law.

    Schools may disclose, without consent, "directory" information such as a student's name, address, telephone number, date and place of birth, honors and awards, and dates of attendance. However, schools must tell parents and eligible students about directory information and allow parents and eligible students a reasonable amount of time to request that the school not disclose directory information about them. Schools must notify parents and eligible students annually of their rights under FERPA. The actual means of notification (special letter, inclusion in a PTA bulletin, student handbook, or newspaper article) is left to the discretion of each school.

    For additional information or technical assistance, you may call (202)260-3887 (voice). Individuals who use TDD may call the Federal Information Relay Service at 1-800-877-8339.

    New York State Higher Education Services Corporation

    NYHESC can give you information regarding your TAP application's status as well as general information on N.Y. State scholarships and other aid. Its telephone number is 1-888-697-4372. To inquire regarding the status your TAP application via the Internet, click here.

    For a comprehensive listing of the NY State grants, scholarships and special awards offered through HESC, visit the HESC web site.

    If you have yet to apply for TAP, you may obtain an accurate estimate of what your TAP award may be click here: TAP Award Estimator.

    ABC's of Money and Debt Management

    • Project Credit Smarts
      The information on this site is designed to assist you in making informed decisions about getting and maintaining credit. Here you'll learn credit card terminology and what to look out for.
    • Identity Theft
      Identity theft is a serious crime. People whose identities have been stolen can spend years and hard-earned money cleaning up the mess that thieves have made of their good name and credit record. Identity theft has cost some victims their employment or employment opportunities, as well as credit and property. Some individuals have even been arrested for crimes they didn't commit. Learn how to protect yourself.
    • Financial Awareness and Consumer Training for Students (FACTS)

      A financial literacy curriculum for students. It is presented as modules, each targeted toward a different age level or concentration. The presentations are rich in content yet easy to understand. Created using straightforward language, they cover practical topics such as: How to Manage Credit; The Use of Credit Cards vs. Debit Cards; Spending Plans; Personal Financial Management Skills; and Identity Protection.


      A U.S. government's Web site dedicated to teaching you the basics about financial education. You will find valuable information on such topics as budgeting, credit management, saving and investing, financial planning, paying for education beyond high school, and managing loan obligations. The free "My Money" Tool Kit package covers publications on saving, investing, protecting, and getting the most for your money.


    The Internet's most informative and comprehensive compilation of financial aid application tips and strategies, is available at the following web site: Smart Student guide.

    New York State Financial Aid Administrator Association

    NYSFAAA offers additional financial aid information and advice through its web site. Click here to visit.

    The Internal Revenue Service

    To request a copy of a tax return, letter 1722 or an RTFTP (the turn-around-time for a telephone request is approximately 3 weeks) call 1-800-829-1040. For on the spot receipt of a letter 1722 or an RTFTP go to one of the IRS Centers listed below. There is no cost for a letter 1722 or an RTFTP. However, there will be a charge for a copy of a tax return. Please note that the IRS will not give you a copy of your parent's tax return (or their letter 1722 or their RTFTP). Your parents must appear in person to obtain copies of their documents.

    IRS Centers
    Bronx: 3000 White Plains Rd (near Burke Ave)
    Manhattan: 55 West 125 Street and 110 West 44 Street
    Brooklyn: 10 Metrotech Center at 625 Fulton Street
    Queens: One Lefrak City
    Westchester: 210 E. Post Road, White Plains, NY

    Selective Service System

    For information regarding the legal requirement for male financial aid recipients born after December 31, 1959 to register with the Selective Service System, call 1-847-688-6888 or click here to visit their web site.

    CUNY Model Code of Conduct

    Other Useful Sites

    Last modified: Apr 17, 2015

Text Only Version of Site | Make This Website Talk