Enabling javascript will improve the functionality of this page. skip to content
Lehman College

Catalog search

Catalog links

print page

Withdrawal from Courses

The grade of W (withdrawal without penalty) is assigned only when a graduate student officially withdraws from a course. Students must complete the withdrawal process themselves, since the procedure requires a signature. No faculty member or program adviser can withdraw a student from a course. Graduate students can officially withdraw by reporting with their bursar's receipt to the Office of the Registrar (Shuster Hall, Room 114) before the deadline published each semester in the Schedule of Classes. If in-person withdrawal is impossible, students can mail a signed letter to the registrar, including their name, Social Security number, the department that teaches the course(s) from which they wish to withdraw, the course number(s), and the section number(s). This letter must be accompanied by a photocopy of their bursar's receipt. Withdrawals by mail received after the withdrawal deadline will not be processed. This procedure applies to courses taught on- and off-campus.

After the published deadline, students wishing to withdraw from a course without penalty can do so only by appealing successfully to the Office of Graduate Studies, Shuster Hall, Room 279 (see "Appeals" in this chapter of the bulletin). When students withdraw unofficially, i.e., the student simply stops attending class without completing the withdrawal procedure, the grade of WU is assigned for the course. This grade counts as a failure in computing the cumulative Grade Point Average.

Last modified: 3/10/2015