Childhood Education Integration of Bilingual Extension: Grades 1-6 (39-48 credits)
The Bilingual Extension of the Initial or Professional Certificate enables one to teach bilingual students. The requirements for the Initial or Professional Certificates must be fulfilled before a Bilingual Extension can be issued. In addition, the Bilingual Education Assessment (BEA) exams is required.
42 credits for students with Initial or Provisional Certification in Pre-K-Grade 6 or Childhood Education.
48 credits for students without prior teacher certification.
- COMPETENCY AREA I: Foundations in Childhood Development and Education (12 credits): EDS 707 (3), EDE 721 (3), EDE 722 (3), EDE 735 (3). Submit academic portfolio for each course of the first 9 credits.
- COMPETENCY AREA II: Professional Coursework in Childhood Development and Education (27 credits): EDE 621 (3), EDE 738 (3), EDE 739 (3), EDE 715 (3), EDE 716 (3), EDE 717 (3), EDE 718 (3), EBS 701 (3), EDE 727 (3).
(1) Successful application to the Student Teaching Coordinator. (2) Complete at least 12 credits in Competency Area II.
This requirement does not apply to students, with Initial or Provisional Certification.
(1) Successfully complete student teaching or internship. (2) Submit an academic portfolio for each course of the first 36 credits, with evidence of achieved outcomes. (3) Apply for Initial or Professional Certification.
- COMPETENCY AREA III: Professional Practice in Childhood Education (3 credits): EDE 756 (3).
Last modified: 1/24/2014