May 19, 2008 (Vol. 7, No. 9)
David Todd, One of the Architects of the Lehman Campus, Dies at 93
Apart from his contribution to the Lehman campus, Todd's work included the Manhattan Plaza complex, completed in 1977 and consisting of an entire square block bounded by 42nd and 43rd Streets, between Ninth and Tenth Avenues. Some of his other notable clients included the Collegiate School on the Upper West Side, the State University of New York, and Princeton University. Public housing and theater buildings were his foremost interests as an architect.
Born in 1915 in Ohio, Todd graduated from Dartmouth College and went on to earn a B.A. in architecture from the University of Michigan. After serving in the Army during World War II, he joined the architectural firm of Harrison, Ballard & Allen in 1946, which subsequently was renamed Ballard, Todd & Snibbe, and then David Todd and Associates in 1967. He also served as president of the New York chapter of the American Institute of Architects and as chairman of the Landmarks Preservation Commission.