Public Safety Alert
Welcome to the Spring 2015 semester. The Department of Public Safety would like to remind you of the following contact information and safety reminders:
Emergency/24 hour: 718-960-7777, Gate #5 Central Communication Station
Non-emergency: 718-960-8228. Administrative Office, APEX Building, room 109: 718-960-8593/4
- Photo ID's should be obtained as soon as possible. The ID schedule is posted on a monthly basis at: http://www.lehman.cuny.edu/lehman/public-safety/id-schedule.php.
- Lehman College ID cards no longer need to be validated. The Divisions of Administration and Finance and Information Technology have worked with Public Safety to upgrade the ID card system to facilitate the electronic and mobile validation of ID cards on the Lehman College campus.
This is an open campus and having a Lehman ID helps Public Safety to identify trespassers. Public Safety now has mobile devices that can scan ID cards at events or during patrols. The benefits of this new system include the more effective use of resources and improved service to students, faculty, and staff.
- When students, faculty ands staff enter locations where ID cards need to be displayed, you will now be asked to swipe your card. These locations include the Library, the Student Life Building, the IT Center, the Student Health Center, the APEX Building and Gate 5. When swiping at any of these locations, the system will display a brief validation screen with ID information that is either green or red in color. In limited cases where the screen is red, you will be asked to provide your EMPL number before being allowed entry. If you do not know your EMPL number, you will be asked to go to the Public Safety office.
- Secure your personal property. Do not leave valuable items unattended (cellphones, laptops, iPods, etc.). Carefully monitor and secure your wallet, purse, credit cards, driver's license and Lehman ID card.
- When in the Library, please follow the etiquette policy (policy can be found on the Library web site) in order to promote a quiet and considerate environment for Lehman College students, faculty, and staff.
- For those who drive, be sure to display your current parking permit and have your proximity parking access card handy to enter the parking lot. For those who do not have a parking permit and access card, they must be purchased at the Campus Activities Office, room 078 in Shuster Hall. Please be aware that in order to park in any of the Lehman College parking lots, you must have a current parking decal. Please do not park illegally, e.g. double parking, blocking college driveways. Do not leave valuables in plain view in your vehicle.
- When walking, entering the campus or parking area, use the pedestrian walkways not driveways. When walking on or off campus, be conscious of approaching vehicle traffic.
Be aware of your surroundings and report any unusual behaviors or incidents to Public Safety.
We at Public Safety wish all a safe and successful semester and look forward to providing our services to the Lehman college community.
Last modified: Jan 29, 2015