International Student Services

Frequently Asked Questions

How can I get admitted to study at Lehman College?

You can apply on-line through the Lehman College website The application for admision is the same for international students. If you have questiona on the application process, contact the Admissions Office a

How can I get an I-20?

The I-20 form will be issued after you have been granted admission into a full-time degree program and provided the financial documents that show you have sufficient funds to cover your study at Lehman College. The I-20 information will be mailed to you or you can download it once you have been granted admission.

Where can I get information on housing?

There are a limited number of rooms available in the Lehman College House. We strongly suggest that you do not enter the U.S. without having made arrangements for housing. Housing in the New York City area is costly and it can take several months to find an appropriate place to live.

Can I work in the U.S.?

When you enter the USA on an F-1 visa your primary obligations are your studies. Immigration is very restrictive as to where and how many hours you can work. Students can work on-campus for a maximum of 20 hours a week. On-campus employment is limited. All other types of employment must be authorized by Immigration. For additional information, see the section on Employment Opportunities.

How can I get a Social Security Number?

F-1 students who apply for a SS number will have to provide a letter of employment stating the name of their employer. See section on Social Security Number for additional information.

Will I need to pay the SEVIS fee?

Students applying for an F or J visa with an I-20 or DS-2019 form must pay the SEVIS fee before applying for their visas. The US Consul will not process the visa application until this fee is paid.

For detailed information on who must pay this fee and the I-901 fee payment form, please see section on SEVIS Fee or visit

  • F-1 visa - fee $200
  • J-1 visa - fee $180

Last modified: Mar 27, 2012

Text Only Version of Site | Make This Website Talk