Applying for Teacher Certification
Students who successfully complete a State-approved program in education are eligible for initial certification by the NYS Education Department. The certification process is as follows:
1. The candidate completes the State-approved program in which the requirements specified by the NYS Education Department are met.
2. The candidate files an application using his or her NYSED TEACH account.
3. In collaboration with the appropriate program coordinator, the Certification Officer reviews the transcripts and related documents to determine whether the student can be recommended for certification.
4. The Certification Officer enters an institutional recommendation for NYS certification.
5. The State Education Department issues electronic certificates online.
Last modified: 5/13/2013