Program Requirements for Undergraduate Secondary Teacher Education (Art, English, Foreign Language, Health, Mathematics, Music, Science)
Students pursuing teacher education must enter a formal program leading to a Lehman College recommendation for teacher certification, and then satisfy the specific requirements, often in a particular sequence. The entrance, continuation, and exit conditions listed below describe the procedures that need to be followed.
Secondary Education Requirements
Credits (26-30) in the following courses:
3 ESC 301
3 ESC 302
4 ESC 409**
3 ESC 429*
4-8 ESC 410-462
3 ESC 463
3 ESC 470 (Student Teaching)
3 ESC 471 (Student Teaching Seminar)
Entrance, Continuation, and Exit Conditions
To enter the program, students must:
- File an application with the undergraduate advisor in the Department of Middle and High School Education;
- Complete the education minor courses with a combined index of 3.0 or better in ESC 301, 302, 429, and 409 (or alternate minor courses for Foreign Language and Social Studies candidates);
- Have an overall college index of 2.7;
- Complete Eng 120 and COM 100 with a grade of 3.0 or better or an alternate course chosen in consultation with the advisor.
- Must have declared a major in the area of certification.
After entering the program, students must
- consult with an education adviser;
- submit scores on the NYS LAST Teacher Certification examination;
- complete the appropriate subject area method course(s) (ESC 410-462).
To be eligible to enroll in Student Teaching (ESC 470) and ESC 471 (Student Teaching Seminar) students must
- complete all education courses with a combined index of 3.0 or better;
- complete each Education methods course with a 3.0 or better;
- submit scores on the NYS ATS-W, and CST Teacher Certification Examinations to the certification officer;
- must have successfully completed at least 75 percent of the requirements for the major in the area of certification with a GPA index of a 2.70 or better.
To exit the program and receive Lehman College's recommendation for New York State Teacher Certification, students must
- complete all course requirements as outlined above;
- complete student teaching with a grade of B or better;
- complete ESC 463 (to be taken during student teaching) and ESC 471 (Student Teaching Seminar with a grade of 3.0 or higher in each course;
- complete the major in the area of certification with an overall index of 2.7 or better;
- complete all degree requirements with an overall college index of 2.7 or better;
- complete one year of college-level study of a language other than English;
- complete two State-mandated workshops on (a) Child Abuse Identification and Reporting and (b) School Violence Intervention and Prevention;
- complete all required NYS liberal arts and science requirements.
Individuals seeking certification in foreign languages must submit scores for the ACTFL OPI (oral proficiency interview). Additional requirements for undergraduate Middle School and High School Teacher Candidates in Social Studies:
- Declare a major in History
- Meet with social studies education program coordinator
Continuation and Exit Requirement
Successfully complete at least one 3-credit undergraduate course in each of the following social science areas: Anthropology, Sociology, Geography, Political science, Economics, and Psychology.
Last modified: 5/13/2013