Program Requirements for Undergraduate Secondary Teacher Education (Art, English, Foreign Language, Health, Mathematics, Science)
Students pursuing teacher education must enter a formal program leading to a Lehman College recommendation for teacher certification, and then satisfy the specific requirements, often in a particular sequence. The entrance, continuation, and exit conditions listed below describe the procedures that need to be followed.
Secondary Education Requirements
Credits (26-30) in the following courses:
3 ESC 301
3 ESC 302
4 ESC 409**
3 ESC 429*
4-8 ESC 410-462
3 ESC 463
3 ESC 471 (Student Teaching Seminar)
3 ESC 470 (Student Teaching)
**Mathematics students should take ESC 432 or 4480 instead of ESC 409.
**Science students should take ESC 419 or 467 instead of ESC 409.
Entrance, Continuation, and Exit Conditions
To enter the program, students must:
- File an application with the undergraduate adviser in the Department of Middle and High School Education;
- Complete the education minor courses with a combined index of 3.0 or better in ESC 301, 302, 429, and 409 (or alternate minor courses for Foreign Language, Social Studies, English, Mathematics, and Science candidates);
- Have an overall college index of 2.7;
- Complete Eng 120 and COM 100 with a grade of 3.0 or better or an alternate course chosen in consultation with the advisor.
- Must have declared a major in the area of certification.
After entering the program, students must:
- Consult with an education adviser;
- Submit scores on the NYS ALST Teacher Certification examination;
- Complete the appropriate subject area method course(s) ESC 410-467
To be eligible to enroll in Student Teaching (ESC 470), the Student Teaching Seminar (ESC 471) and Special Needs Students (ESC 463) students must:
- Complete all education courses with a combined index of 3.0 or better.
- Complete each Education methods course with a 3.0 or better.
- Submit scores on all current Teacher Certification Examinations to the certification officer.
- Must have successfully completed at least 75 percent of the requirements for the major in the area of certification with a GPA index of a 2.70 or better
To exit the program and receive Lehman College's recommendation for New York State Teacher Certification:
- Complete all course requirements as outlined above.
- Complete student teaching with a grade of B or better.
- Complete the major in the area of certification with an overall index of 2.7 or better.
- Complete all degree requirements with an overall college index of 2.7 or better.
- Complete one year of college-level study of a language other than English.
- Complete two State-mandated workshops on (a) Child Abuse Identification and Reporting and (b) School Violence Intervention and Prevention.
- Complete all required NYS liberal arts and science requirements
Last modified: 3/11/2014