All student veterans (veterans, service members, and dependents) enrolled at Lehman College are eligible for services. We invite you to stop by our office to meet our Coordinator of Veterans and Military Affairs and to participate in all programs and activities offered. The Office provides assistance, advice, and counseling to all veterans and their dependents in all phases of college life.
Barbara Thompson is the full-time Veterans and Military Coordinator for the Office. She draws from her own experience as a dependent of a retired service member and brings more than twenty years of experience working with military members, combined with nine years of higher education experience. Lehman's veteran students, service members, and their families are greeted and welcomed by a coordinator that is sensitive to and caring about their issues and concerns.
Thompson is also informed about a wide range of services both on and off campus that are available to veterans. She offers personal and academic assistance as well as appropriate referrals for services. In addition, she advocates for veterans, service members and their families, explains academic options, and helps pave the way for a smooth transition. She also plans educational and social activities, as well as provides education for the community and Lehman College students and employees about the issues veterans may have and the numerous contributions to society they have made.
Services and Programs Provided:
- One Stop Admission Services
- Receive assistance with advocacy Advocate and liaison to the college community, Veterans Affairs, and Department of Defense, etc.
- Help with transitioning from being a service member to being a student
- Assitance with identifying funding and education needs
- Help with applying for educational benefits (federal and state)
- Assistance in the completion of the VA Certification process
- Help with applying and obtaining Work-Study positions
- Receive help with tuition deferments
- Help with preparing rèsumès and conducting job searches, etc.
- Assistance with housing and legal issues
- Gain access to campus educational and support services
- Referrals to available tutorial services, either through the Veterans Administration (if eligible) or through Lehman's Instructional Support Services Program ISSP).
Last modified: Apr 1, 2014