Mosholu, "smooth stones," is a tribal name for Tibbett's Brook, a southward-running stream in the west of the borough. In 1884, when New York laid out parkland in the newly-annexed districts, the broad avenue joining Van Cortlandt and Bronx Parks was named Mosholu Parkway. Between it and Woodlawn Cemetery to the north, on land originally belonging to the Varian farm, grew up a neighborhood particularly well-served by transportation, home to the Williamsbridge Reservoir (1888), now a playground, and Montefiore Hospital (1912). The upper portions of the area, near busy Gun Hill Road, are known as Norwood.

[Back to Index]