Skip to Main Content Skip to Main Navigation
search this website
search this website

Lehman College Logo Click Here to go back to Homepage

Academic Standards & Evaluation

Taking courses at another CUNY college

In order to take courses at another CUNY College:

  • Decide which college you want to attend and which course(s) you want to take.
    • If you are looking for a course to replace a specific Lehman course, you may be able to find some help at the City University TIPPS (Transfer Information and Planning System) website.
      • Navigate to
      • Click on "Course Equivalencies."
      • Select the other school as your "Transferring From" school from the drop-down menu uder "Select a CUNY College."
      • Check the box next to Lehman as your "Transferring To" school.
      • Click the "Continue" button.
      • Select the subject you want to study from the "Subject" drop-down menu.
      • Select the specific course(s) you want to take at the other school.
      • When you have finished selecting all the courses that interest you, click the "See Courses" button.
      • The following screen should tell you whether the course will transfer to Lehman as the equivalent of a specific Lehman course, as major elective credit, as (general) elective credit, or whether it transfers only if the student earns an associate degree at that other school.  It may also mention whether the course fits a general education requirement for students in the Pathways curriculum.
      • PLEASE NOTE:  The information on TIPPS is limited and sometimes out of date. If you would like to take a course that is not listed in TIPPS, consult a faculty advisor in the academic department that houses the equivalent Lehman course.  Bring a description of the course you want to take at the other school; you should be able to find it in the school's online catalog.
    • You will be able to enroll in these other CUNY courses through CUNYfirst by selecting the appropriate College in the Schedule of Classes. For further information about the course or the school, visit that College's website.
Baruch College Kingsborough Community College
Borough of Manhattan Community College LaGuardia Community College
Bronx Community College New York City College of Technology
Brooklyn College Queens College
City College of New York Queensborough Community College
Medgar Evers College School of Professional Studies
Hostos Community College College of Staten Island
Hunter College Stella and Charles Guttman Community College
John Jay College of Criminal Justice York College

Click HERE for more information on the CUNY e-permit process.


Limits on the Number of Credits That Can Be Transferred

Once you have earned 60 credits in an associate degree program, you may not transfer any additional credits from an associate degree program toward the 120 credits needed to graduate, even though those additonal courses may be used to fill Lehman graduation requirements.

You may transfer in no more than ninety credits from ANY college or combination of colleges. Students who transfer in sixty credit from a community college or collection of community colleges may transfer in no more than thirty additional credits from a senior (4-year) college.

CUNY F Policy Warning

If you have failed a course at Lehman and wish to take advantage of the CUNY F Policy to remove the penalty grade (F, FIN, WU) from the calculation of your G.P.A., you must retake the course AT LEHMAN.  If you later transfer in the course from another school, you will no longer be able to take advantage of the CUNY F Policy for that course's original grade.  For more information about the CUNY F Policy, click here.