Faculty - Tomás Ó hÍde
E-mail Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone Number: 718-960-6776
Office: Carman Hall, Room 274
Degrees and Sources of Degrees: B.A., St. Mary's Univ., Texas; M.Phil., Ph.D., Univ. of Dublin
Tomás Ó hÍde received a B.A. in Philosophy from St. Mary's University, an M.Phil. in Applied Linguistics from the University of Dublin (Trinity College), and also a Ph.D. in Applied Linguistics from the University of Dublin (Trinity College) in 1998. Before joining the Department of Languages and Literatures, he taught for eight years in the Department of Middle and High School Education at Lehman College coordinating their foreign language program. He currently teaches elementary Irish language courses as well as advanced literature courses in the Irish language in the Department of Languages and Literatures at Lehman College.
Second language acquisition, curriculum design, the history of the Irish language, Irish language folklore, and Irish language film studies.
With nearly a century of Irish language film celebrated, three major periods can be distinguished, cinema shorts from the 1930s through 1950s, television programming of the 1960s through 1980s, and the birth of TG4 in the 1990s to present. Some film has been specifically produced for native Irish language speakers, while other programs appear for second language learners. A theme of Irish folklore appears occasionally in select programs throughout the three periods. Focus on the Irish language itself as topic of a program has generally been avoided until only recently.
- Ó hÍde, Tomás. Máire Ní Neachtain, Roslyn Blyn-LaDrew, and John Gillen. Colloquial Irish 2: The Next Step in Language Learning. Routledge, 2020.
- Ó hÍde, Tomás. Seáinín Tom Sheáin: From Árainn to the Silver Screen. Comhairle Bhéaloideas Éireann, 2019.
- Ihde, Thomas, Máire Ní Neachtain, Roslyn Blyn-LaDrew, and John Gillen. Colloquial Irish. Routledge (2nd ed., Routledge, forthcoming).
- Ihde, Thomas, editor. The Irish Language in the United States: a historical, sociolinguistic, and applied linguistic survey. Bergin & Garvey, 1994.
Recent Journal Articles and Chapters in Edited Books:
- Ó hÍde, Tomás. "Collecting Folklore on the Set of Man of Aran." Béascna: Journal of Folklore and Ethnology, vol. 11, 2022, pp. 77-91.
- Ó hÍde, Tomás. "Irish-Language Folklore in An Gaodhal." North American Gaels: Speech, Story, and Song in the Diaspora, edited by Natasha Sumner and Aidan Doyle. McGill-Queen's University Press, 2020, pp. 137-62.
- Ó hÍde, Tomás. "Robert J. Flaherty and Seáinín Tom Ó Dioráin: Lights, Camera, and (Not Too Much) Action." Twentieth-Century Literary Criticism. Vol. 372, Gale, 2019, pp. 283-94. [Reprint]
- Ó hÍde, Tomás. "An Béaloideasaí as Béarra agus An Gaodhal." An Gael, vol. 38, 2018, pp. 29-33.
- Ó hÍde, Tomás. "Seáinín Tom Sheáin and 'The Shepherd and the Mass'." Béaloideas, vol. 84, 2016, pp. 18-41.
- Ó hÍde, Tomás. "Robert J. Flaherty and Seáinín Tom Ó Dioráin: Lights, Camera, and (Not Too Much) Action." Estudios Irlandeses, vol. 11, 2016, pp. 118-31.
- Ó hÍde, Tomás. "Robert Flaherty's Oidhche Sheanchais: The First Film in Irish." New Hibernia Review, vol. 18, 2014, pp. 68-86.
- Ó hÍde, Tomás. "Emancipation through exile: Irish speakers in the Americas." Celts in the Americas, edited by Michael Newton. Cape Breton University Press, 2013, pp. 56-75.
- Ó hÍde, Tomás. "Cén chaoi a bhFoghlaimíonn Duine Fásta Teanga Nua?" An tÚll Mór, vol. 1, 2012.
- Ihde, Thomas. "Irish American Identity and the Irish Language." Affecting Irishness: Negotiating Cultural Identity Within and Beyond the Nation, edited by James P. Byrne, Padraig Kirwan, and Michael O'Sullivan. Peter Lang, 2008, pp. 219-30.
- Ihde, Thomas. "Irish Language Learning Textbooks Published in the United States: 1873-1904." New Hibernia Review, vol. 9, 2005, pp. 137-51.
- Ihde, Thomas. "Teacher and Student Roles in Multimedia Language Learning." Teanga: The Irish Yearbook of Applied Linguistics, vol. 20, 2001-2002, pp. 69-87.
- Ihde, Thomas. "Curriculum Development and Textbook Design for North American Learners of Irish." Language, Culture, & Curriculum, vol. 13, no. 1, 2000, pp. 1-12.
- Ihde, Thomas. "Issues in the design of credited Irish courses" Journal of Celtic Language Learning, vol. 5, 2000, pp. 5-19.