Faculty Moira Sauane
E-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone Number: 347-577-4085
Office: Science Hall 3406 (Lab: Science Hall 3405, 718-960-8730)
Rank: Associate Professor
Degrees and Source of Degrees: M.Sci., Ph.D.,, Univ. of Buenos Aires, Argentina. Postdoctoral Training: Columbia University, N.Y.
The research in my lab focuses on identifying the molecular basis of the translational control of protein synthesis and its importance in cancer, inflammation, and viral replication. In my lab we aim to discover the precise molecular mechanisms by which cancer-therapeutic agents selectively kill cancer cells. Importantly the molecules we study are also involved in immunomodulatory and antiangiogenic processes, properties that can also be harnessed to fight cancer. The ultimate goal is to exploit this knowledge for new therapeutic developments.
- Zhang B, Zhong X, Sauane M, Zhao Y, and Zheng ZL. Modulation of the Pol II CTD Phosphorylation Code by Rac1 and Cdc42 Small GTPases in Cultured Human Cancer Cells and Its Implication for Developing a Synthetic-Lethal Cancer Therapy. Cells. 2020;9(3):621.
- Mighty J, Zhou J, Benito-Martin A, et al. Analysis of Adult Neural Retina Extracellular Vesicle Release, RNA Transport and Proteomic Cargo. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2020;61(2):30.
- Das DK, Persaud L, and Sauane M. MicroRNA-4719 and microRNA-6756-5p Correlate with Castration-Resistant Prostate Cancer Progression through Interleukin-24 Regulation. Noncoding RNA. 2019; January 21, 5(1):10.
- Zhong X, Persaud L, Muharam H, Francis A, Das D, Aktas BH, and Sauane M. Eukaryotic Translation Initiation Factor 4A Down-Regulation Mediates Interleukin-24-Induced Apoptosis through Inhibition of Translation. Cancers, 2018 May 22;10(5).
- O'Connor NA, Einbond LS, Redenti S, Sauane M, and Jitianu A. A Self-degradable Curcumin Polymer with Anti-cancer Activity. J Appl Polym Sci. 2018;135(47):46867.
- Kasteri J, Das D, Zhong X, Persaud L, Francis A, Muharam H, and Sauane M. Translation Control by p53. Cancers. 2018 May 5;10(5).
- Persaud L, Zhong X, Alvarado G, Do W, Dejoie J, Zybtseva A, Aktas BH, and Sauane M. eIF2α Phosphorylation Mediates IL24-Induced Apoptosis through Inhibition of Translation. Mol Cancer Res. 2017 Aug;15(8):1117-1124.
- Persaud L, De Jesus D, Brannigan O, Richiez-Paredes M, Huaman J, Alvarado G, Riker L, Mendez G, Dejoie J, and Sauane M. Mechanism of Action and Applications of Interleukin 24 in Immunotherapy. Int J Mol Sci. 2016 Jun 2;17(6).
- Unachukwu UJ, Warren A, Li Z, Mishra S, Zhou J, Sauane M, Lim H, Vazquez M, and Redenti S. Predicted molecular signaling guiding photoreceptor cell migration following transplantation into damaged retina. Sci Rep. 2016 Mar 3;6:22392.
- Das D, Persaud L, Dejoie J, Happy M, Brannigan O, De Jesus D, and Sauane M. Tumor necrosis factor-related apoptosis-inducing ligand (TRAIL) activates caspases in human prostate cancer cells through sigma 1 receptor. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2016 Feb 5;470(2):319-323.
- Cruz, A., Nguyen, B., Sauane M, and Lopez, G.E. Structural and functional characterization of IL-24 based on atomistic molecular modeling. Chemistry Letters. 2016 Dec 22;45(3):327-329.
- Happy M, Dejoie J, Zajac CK, Cortez B, Chakraborty K, Aderemi J, and Sauane M. Sigma 1 Receptor antagonist potentiates the anti-cancer effect of p53 by regulating ER stress, ROS production, Bax levels, and caspase-3 activation. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2015 Jan 9;456(2):683-8.
- Unachukwu UJ, Sauane M, Vazquez M, and Redenti S. Microfluidic generated EGF-gradients induce chemokinesis of transplantable retinal progenitor cells via the JAK/STAT and PI3kinase signaling pathways. PLoS One. 2013 Dec 23;8(12):e83906.
- Do W, Herrera C, Mighty J, Shumskaya M, Redenti SM, and Sauane M. Sigma 1 Receptor plays a prominent role in IL-24-induced cancer-specific apoptosis. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2013 Sep 20;439(2):215-20.