Transfer Student Information
Welcome to the Department of Chemistry! Transfer students may begin the Chemistry major any semester. If you are looking for a career in Research, Science teacher, Laboratory Technician, or lab chemist, or if you are interested in attending medical school or graduate school in chemistry or biochemistry, the Chemistry major or the Chemistry major with the concentration in Biochemistry is a great option for you!
Pre-Transfer Advising Tips
Here are some helpful tips so that you can be as prepared as possible when you transfer to Lehman:
- We encourage students to have already completed General chemistry I and II lab and lectures prior to transferring (but if you haven’t completed them it is not a problem).
- Organic Chemistry lab and lecture is a course that many students transfer. If you are still enrolled at another college and planning ahead, this would be a good course to take.
- The Chemistry major requires Calculus I and II, so having taken that or Precalculus prior to transferring is helpful (but not required).
- The Chemistry major requires Physics I and II, so having taken that or Physics I prior to transferring is helpful (but not required). However, please check which Physics is equivalent with Physics I from Lehman College (some community colleges offer Physics I which is not transferable).
- All our labs are in person, so please be prepared to come to campus!
- Visit the Virtual Transfer Center for some additional resources.
If you haven’t applied to Lehman College yet, please go the Admissions Office website for more information on transfer requirements and the application process.
Once you have been accepted you will receive detailed information from the Admissions Office regarding the next steps toward becoming enrolled at Lehman. Please note that this process does take some time, so apply to transfer as early as possible! You can schedule a departmental advising session after your transfer credit evaluation (TCE) is complete and you have completed the onboarding process.
We hope to see you on campus or online soon!