About the M.S.Ed. Programs in Counselor Education: Clinical Mental Health Counseling and Counselor Education: School Counseling
Counselor Education: School Counseling
The Lehman College Counselor Education: School Counseling program develops culturally competent, ethical, caring, data-driven professional school counselors in a K-12 urban educational framework. School counselor candidates promote social justice and human rights advocacy in their scholarly, clinical, assessment, evaluation, and school counseling program implementation practices. They develop academic, personal, social, and career/college competencies for all students to help close achievement, opportunity, and attainment gaps. The Counselor Education/School Counseling program climate emphasizes collaboration, leadership, self-awareness, and mutual respect among diverse groups.
- Candidates demonstrate knowledge of professional school counseling interventions in the following: identity/ethics, counseling theories and techniques, group work, multicultural counseling, career counseling, human development, assessment, research and program evaluation, leadership/advocacy/consultation, college access, and trauma/violence/chemical dependency skills with course artifacts.
- Candidates demonstrate ability to assess and implement American School Counselor Association (ASCA) National Model Framework for School Counseling Programs using artifacts including School Counseling Program Assessment, Action Plans, Results Reports, and Lesson Plan Outlines in practicum, internship, and school counseling program action research projects.
- Candidates know and use evidence-based and data-informed practices in delivering, implementing, and evaluating school counseling programs and interventions to help close achievement, opportunity, and attainment gaps.
- Candidates demonstrate excellent individual counseling, group counseling, school counseling core curriculum lesson plan development and implementation, and planning/advising for all students in pre-practicum, practicum, and internship experiences.
- Candidates complete 50 hours of supervised pre-practicum, 100 hours of practicum and 600 hours of internship in K-12 schools.
- Candidates demonstrate 11 appropriate dispositions for school counseling in culturally and linguistically diverse K-12 schools and in the graduate program: Respectful interactions; engaged and enthusiastic learning; effective listening and speaking skills; support peers; give meaningful and constructive feedback; receive feedback non-defensively; trustworthiness; warmth; kindness; affirm differences; professionalism.
Counseling Education: Clinical Mental Health Counseling
For More Information, Contact:
Program Coordinator Dr. Stuart Chen-Hayes (email@example.com); available during the academic year August 30 - June 1
Graduate Admissions Advisor Masuda Tanny, firstname.lastname@example.org; available all year.
60-Credit M.S.Ed. Licensure Program in Counselor Education: Clinical Mental Health Counseling (forthcoming)
Counselor Education/School Counseling Advisory Council
Meeting attendees (L to R):
Judi Belliard, M.S.Ed. '09, NYC DOE District Coordinator, Bronx Single Shepherd Initiative; Jonathan Baez, CE/SC Class of '19; Paulette Monforte, M.S.Ed., '16, NYC DOE High School Counselor, The Cinema School, Bronx; Samantha Valcarcel, CE/SC Class of '17; Dr. Margarita Suero-Duran, NYC DOE Senior Administrator for High Schools, Office of Counseling Support Programs; Cindy Larin M.S.Ed., '14, NYC DOE Bilingual Middle School Counselor, The Michaelangelo School, Bronx, NY; Terry Houlihan, M.S.Ed. '10, School Counselor, Iona Prep HS, New Rochelle and part-time faculty, CE/SC; and Lisa DeMauro M.S.Ed. '09, Middle School Counselor, Global Tech Prep MS 406M, Harlem, NY
Professional Counseling Associations
- American Counseling Association (ACA)
- American School Counselor Association (ASCA)
- Center for School Counseling Outcome Research and Evaluation
- New York State School Counselor Association (NYSSCA)
- National Association for College Admission Counseling
- New York State College Admission Counseling