Skip to Main Content Skip to Main Navigation


search this website
search this website

Lehman College


Undergraduate FAQ Links

Is it possible to work while pursuing an undergraduate major in Speech Pathology and Audiology at Lehman?

It is possible, and many of our undergraduate students work while attending the undergraduate program. Courses are offered during the day, evening, and on Saturdays. Students who work may have to adjust their work schedule according to class meeting times. If you work while attending the program, it is advisable to take a reduced course load.

Do undergraduate students enroll in clinical practicum?

Typically, undergraduate students do not engage in any hands-on therapy. Undergraduate students enroll in coursework (SPV 430) that provides supervised observation of therapy.

I am not particularly strong in math or science. Is this a good major for me?

Probably not. Science plays a major role in many of your courses. The content of courses in basic communication processes includes mathematics, biology, physics, and physiology.

Can I take online courses?

Students completing the BA may take a maximum of two on-line courses (of the nine UG prerequisite courses) with prior approval of the UG adviser.

Can a student minor in Speech Pathology and Audiology?

Yes. The Department of Speech-Language-Hearing Sciences offers a 12 credit minor. If you are interested in minoring in Speech Pathology and Audiology, consult with the undergraduate adviser to plan a minor program.

Does the undergraduate program have a student association?

Yes. Lehman College is a member of the National Student. Speech-Language-Hearing Association (NSSLHA). The Lehman NSSLHA chapter has both undergraduate and graduate student members.

Is the graduate program at Lehman accredited?

Yes, the graduate program in Speech-Language Pathology is accredited by theCouncil on Academic Accreditation (CAA) of the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA).

What are the requirements for consideration for admission into the graduate program?

Students applying to the graduate program must submit evidence of an earned baccalaureate degree, a minimum of 2 letters of reference from professors (at least one must be from a professor in speech pathology or audiology), and a personal statement. Applicants should have a minimum undergraduate grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 overall, and of at least 3.5 in their communication sciences and disorders major. For students whose major was in another discipline, a minimum GPA of 3.0 overall, and of at least 3.5 in prerequisite courses is required.

Note: These are minimum requirements. Admissions decisions are based on competitive review. Although not required for the M.A. degree, students must complete a minimum of one course in the following areas in order to qualify for the Certificate of Clinical Competence (CCC) in Speech-Language Pathology:

  • Statistics: PSY 226: Statistical Method in Psychology or MATH 132: Introduction to Statistics
  • Social Sciences: PSY 166: General Psychology or SOC 166: Fundamentals of Sociology or SOC 227: Sociology of the Family
  • Biological Sciences: BIO 183: Human Biology
  • Physical Sciences: PHY 140: Sound, Speech and Music