Just in Time Online Training
As faculty prepare to teach online in a hurry, the Office of Online Education recommends the following Just in Time Online Training:
Step 1: Review existing resources:
- FAQ for Teaching Online in a Hurry
- Select and watch at least one of the Teaching and Learning webinars
- Explore institutionally supported educational tools
Review additional resources developed by prominent organizations in higher education (see below)
Step 2: Complete the Blackboard Basics Training course, if you are not already proficient with Blackboard
Step 3: Connect with your school’s faculty mentor to help you leverage technology to support student learning and quality instruction
Step 4: Review the online course planning document and begin to fill it out
Step 5: Schedule an individual course design consultation with the Office of Online Education staff, explore additional resources below, or consider taking one of our future workshops.
- Associate of College and University Educators (ACUE) Online Teaching Toolkit and ACUE Webinars
- Online Learning Consortium (OLC) Webinars - Provides access to on-demand webinar recordings hosted by online experts covering industry hot topics, best practices, and special interests. You can also register for upcoming webinars.
- Routledge: Faculty Resources for Online Teaching and Learning - Routledge is offering access to a free chapter in each of the following:
- Teaching Online: A Practical Guide (2017), 4th Edition by Susan Ko, Steve Rossen.
- Best Practices in Designing Course with Open Educational Resources (2019), 1st Edition by Olena Zhadko, Susan Ko
- EdSurge Podcast: Coronavirus Has Led to a Rush of Online Teaching. Here’s Some Advice for Newly Remote Instructors
- Routledge: Getting Started with Online Teaching (Webinar Recording) - Routledge is offering free access to webinar recording on Getting Started with Online Teaching with Susan Ko, Faculty Development Consultant in the Office of Online Education and Clinical Professor in History at Lehman College. Note: the webinar recording is free, but you will be asked by the publisher to register before accessing.
- E-book: Planning and Designing Your College Course, compiled by Magna Publications, 2020 (PDF)