(b. 1870, d. 1943)
Joseph Freedlander grew up in New York and attended public schools. He entered the Massachusetts Institute of Technology to study architecture, received his degree in 1889, and continued that study at the Ecole des Beaux-Arts, Paris. In 1895 Freedlander and two of his colleagues were the first Americans to be awarded formal degrees in architectues by that French institution. He then returned to New York to establish his professional practice.
Freedlander won a series of architectural design competitions: the Saint Louis Club headquarters (1897); the National Home for Disabled volunteer Soldiers, Johnson City, Tennessee (1904) and the Perry Memorial at Put-in-Bay, Ohio, on Lake Erie (1912). In 1928 he won the competition to design the Museum of the city of New York, his best-known work, completed in 1930. Among Freedlander’s major projects were the Harlem Hospital (1907), the French Institute (1929), and the Bronx County Courthouse (1934).