Science Tutoring & Workshops
- What We Do
- Location and How to See a Tutor
- Semester Schedule
- Areas of Tutoring
- Science Learning Center Workshops
- Additional Resources (Technology and Online Tutoring)
Since 1995, the Science Learning Center (SLC) has provided tutoring and additional academic support for students pursuing science and math coursework at Lehman. The SLC is committed to the following goals:
- hiring and training highly qualified tutors,
- providing workshops which target student academic needs,
- fostering a positive, motivating atmosphere for student learning, and
- promoting students' acquisition of knowledge and critical thinking, independent learning and study skills.
The Science Learning Center is located in Gillet Hall, room 133. However, as of March 2020, all tutoring and workshops take place online, primarily through the Blackboard Collaborate platform.
During the fall and spring semesters, the SLC will be open during the following hours:
- Monday-Thursday 10:00 am -7:00 pm
- Saturday 10:00 am -2:00 pm
The Center is not open for tutoring when classes are not in session and when the College is closed. It may, however, be open for scheduled workshops. Please call the Center at 718-960-7707 to confirm workshop hours.
The Science Learning Center does not offer tutoring in Math. For Math tutoring and for information about the Math Lab's hours, please contact the Mathematics Department's Math Learning Center at 718-960-8878.
Tutoring is available in the following subject areas:
- Biostatistics (for Nursing, Public Health, Health Sciences, and pre-med students)
- Organic Chemistry
If you need assistance in an area not listed above, contact us.
See our FAQ page for answers to general questions about tutoring.
The SLC will offer review workshops for the courses listed below. Workshops will be conducted two weeks prior to exams. Workshop facilitators will review lecture material, answer questions, and provide additional resources to supplement course content. Students should prepare for each workshops by reading ahead, developing questions, and arriving with their textbooks. Please check Blackboard or your email for more information, or call the SLC for more information (718-960-7707).
- Chemistry 114: Essentials of General Chemistry
- Chemistry 120: Essentials of Organic Chemistry
- Biology 230: Microbiology
Students in any section taught by instructors participating in Peer-Led Team Learning may attend PLTL workshops. PLTL workshops will be conducted twice each week, and are course- and instructor-specific. However, students in other CHE sections are welcome to attend.
- Chemistry 114: Essentials of General Chemistry (Wallace)
- Chemistry 120: Essentials of Organic Chemistry (Ravi)
Register for these workshops by calling the Science Learning Center at 718-960-7707.
The following learning software is available on computer stations at the Science Learning Center:
- ADAM Interactive Anatomy
- ChemBio DRAW
- BioTutor Excalibur
- ChemTutor Excalibur
- PhysicsTutor Excalibur
- Graphical Analysis
- Multimedia Organic Chemistry
- Maple (for Calculus)
- Real Anatomy
The Science Learning Center also provides a small number of loaner laptops for students to use in the Center.
Online tutoring in some natural science courses is also available through the NetTutor service.