Blackboard for Faculty
Blackboard is a Web-based course-management system (often called CMS) that allows students and faculty to participate in classes delivered online. Blackboard host hybrid online courses and documents like syllabi, PDF articles, digital library materials, audio and video clips can be stored and accessed to complement face-to-face teaching. Blackboard enables instructors to provide students with course materials, discussion boards, virtual chatting, online quizzes, and can also be used as an online document resource center.
Some courses can be conducted entirely through Blackboard, without any on-campus sessions. If you are assigned to a course, you can use Blackboard to store and allow students to access documents or use it to facilitate a blended or hybrid asynchronous online course.
Lehman College offers a regular schedule of Blackboard-related training workshops each semester and provides individual consultation and training, department-specific training and hybrid online training upon request. Requests for specialized training or information about our services should be e-mailed to Steve Castellano at email@example.com or call him at 718- 960-1111.
Not all faculty regularly use Blackboard, so Lehman College has specially prepared a series of documents to assist new or unfamiliar users with placing a hybrid course or portions of their face-to-face course in Blackboard. These documents are available on the Blackboard Help Documents page.
- You will need a CUNY Portal account to access Blackboard. Instructions are provided on how to create your CUNY Portal Account.
- Once you have a CUNY Portal account, access Blackboard by logging into the CUNY Portal.
- If you are not seeing your Blackboard course(s) for the current semester, contact Steve Castellano at 718-960-8658 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- New Faculty who are in need of assistance in acquiring a CUNY Portal Account and faculty who are not able to view their Blackboard courses should contact Steve Castellano at 718-960-8658 or at email@example.com.
- From your Blackboard course, click the Control Panel located at the side left panel of the screen.
- From the Control Panel, select Archive Course, located in the lower left area of the Control Panel under Course Options.
- From the Export/Archive Manager screen click Archive.
- On the next screen that appears, click once on the Submit button.
Note: The download may take anywhere from 1 minute to as much as 5 minutes or more to complete, depending on the amount of materials and students in the course. Do not Cancel or click Submit again.
- Under the File Name column click on the link of the file with the .zip extension.
- Note: You may need to refresh the screen in order for the Archive File to show up.
- In the File Download message that appears, click on the Save button.
- In the Save As dialog box, double-click on My Documents (or another location of your choosing), then click on the Save button.
TIP: It is a good idea to change the name of the archive file to reflect the course’s name and the semester and year of the course, which will make it easier to identify the archive should you ever need it again.
- Click on the OK button to return to the Control Panel of your course.
- Blackboard Faculty Workshops.
- Online Courses - Common Structural Standards
- Guide for Instructors: Lehman Online Learning
- Turnitin - Plagiarism Prevention
- Lehman's Information Technology Resources Center
- Resources at Lehman College for Teaching with Technology
Blackboard - Lehman's Course Management System
- Using HTML: Basic Reference
- Hyperlinks and uploading materials: a primer
- The CUNY Online Distributed Learning Network
- CUNY college online instruction, ITS, & support links for Baruch, Brooklyn, City Tech, John Jay, Queensborough
- Free Downloads (Freeware)
Download the latest versions of the Firefox or Internet Explorer browsers below. To view PDF files, download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Last modified: Nov 23, 2011