Public Safety at Lehman College
Welcome to the Spring 2024 semester. The Department of Public Safety would like to provide the college community with the goal and core values of our department. We, at Public Safety, strive to provide a safe and secure working and learning environment for those who seek personal advancement and growth. With this in mind, the following contact information, campus information and security reminders is provided:
Central Communication Station - Gate #5:
- Emergency/24 hour: 718-960-7777
- Non-emergency: 718-960-8228
APEX Building, Room 109
Monday - Friday 9:00AM - 5:00PM
Saturdays, Sundays, and holidays: Closed
- To preserve a campus environment that is conducive to the pursuit of educational goals in support of the College’s mission.
- To ensure the personal safety of all College constituencies and protection of all College facilities and equipment.
- To support a campus culture that values the diverse backgrounds of all College constituencies.
- To keep abreast of emerging technologies and practices in the public safety field.
The Department of Public Safety’s core values are harmonious with the College’s values, which include integrity, teamwork, dedication to excellence, leadership, service to the college community and respect for the individual. Our core values provide us with a means of not only guiding, but also evaluating our operations, our planning, and our vision for the future.
Lehman’s Department of Public Safety supports the College's mission by helping to maintain a safe environment for its students, faculty, staff, and visitors. We aim to create a student-centered and learning-centered campus where students from all backgrounds feel welcome and able to achieve their educational goals.
Campus Information and Security Reminders
Lehman College continues to operate as a closed campus. The campus is open to current Lehman College students enrolled in in-person and online classes, currently employed Lehman College faculty and staff and Lehman College alumni with current membership in the alumni association. Having a Lehman College ID card helps Public Safety to identify trespassers. Public Safety now have mobile devices that officers can use to scan Lehman ID cards at events or while conducting patrols. The benefits of this system includes the more effective use of resources and improved service to students, faculty, and staff.
Students from other CUNY campuses who are enrolled in Lehman College classes must obtain a Lehman College ID card to access the Lehman College campus. Faculty and staff employed at other CUNY campuses who are employed at Lehman must also obtain a Lehman College ID card to access the Lehman College campus.
Visitors, guests and contractors must be placed on an access list generated by the department to be visited to access the campus. Identification is required to access the campus.
Access to the campus are via access points at Gates 1, 5, 6, 8, and 13 where scanners are positioned for scanning digital and physical Lehman College ID cards. Access points and operational hours will be as follows (when classes are in session):
- Gate 1: Monday – Friday, 7:00AM – 10:00PM, closed Saturdays and Sundays
- Gate 5: 24 hours/7 days a week
- Gate 6: Monday – Friday, 7:00AM – 10:00PM, closed Saturdays and Sundays
- Gate 8: Monday - Sunday, 5:30AM - 12:30AM
- Gate 13: Monday – Friday, 7:00AM – 11:00PM; Saturday 7AM - 9PM, closed Sundays
- Lehman College ID cards should be obtained as soon as possible. The I.D. Schedule is posted on a monthly basis (when dates and times are available).
- Another form of identification must also be used if the digital Lehman College ID card does not have a photo.
- Lehman College ID cards no longer need to be validated. The Divisions of Administration and Finance and Information Technology have worked with Public Safety to upgrade the ID card system to facilitate the electronic and mobile validation of ID cards on the Lehman College campus.
- When Lehman students, faculty, and staff enter locations where ID cards need to be displayed, you are now asked to swipe or scan your ID card. These locations include the Library, the Student Life Building, the IT Center, the Student Health Center, the APEX Building and Gate 1, Gate 5, Gate 6, Gate 8, and Gate 13. When swiping or scanning at any of these locations, the system will display a brief validation screen with ID information that is either green or red in color. In limited cases where the screen is red, you will be asked to contact the Office of Human Resources (staff and faculty) or the Lehman Location Vaccination Authority (students) for assistance.
Lehman College Online Photo ID Card System
Lehman College provides an online photo system that can be used to submit a photo for ID card creation when the ID Room is closed. An email Invite is sent to currently enrolled Lehman College students and currently employed Lehman College faculty and staff.
All members of the college community must obtain a physical Lehman College ID card. The ID card can be obtained using the online photo system or at the ID Room (when open). An additional identification card is needed to obtain a Lehman College ID card.
The Photo ID card schedule is posted on the Lehman College Public Safety website.
- Faculty and staff must obtain a letter from the Office of Human Resources confirming employment at the college.
- Students must provide their name as accepted to the college and their EMPL number confirming their enrollment in current semester classes when requesting an Invite.
- Alumni must provide proof of payment to and membership with the alumni association.
- Research Foundation employees must have their department chairperson, dean or director send an email to the Director of Public Safety that includes the employee’s name, RF number and the member’s email address.
To park in any campus parking lot, a parking decal and a Lehman College proximity ID card is required. Parking is on a first come, first served basis.
Parking decals are sold at the Office of Campus Activities, located in Shuster Hall, room 078. Faculty and staff parking decals are sold annually at the beginning of the fall semester. Student decals are sold by the semester at the beginning of each respective semester. Contractor/BronxNet employee parking decals are sold on a ½ year basis (January to August).
Key Request SystemKey requests are made via the Lehman Automated Forms system located in the Lehman 360 app or via the Lehman Automated Forms link located under the ‘Login’ tab on the college Home page.
- Students, faculty, and staff can request an escort if they feel unsafe walking to or from a parking lot or between buildings. Public Safety is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for those who wish an escort and can call Ext. 7777 or 8228 or 718-960-8228 from a cellphone.
- Secure your personal property. Do not leave valuable items unattended (cellphones, laptops, iPods, etc.). Carefully monitor and secure your wallet, purse, credit cards, driver's license and Lehman ID card.
- Office doors, file cabinets, and desk drawers should be locked at all times even if you step out of the area for a short time. Never leave your office space unattended.
- When in the Library, please follow the etiquette policy (policy can be found on the Library website) in order to promote a quiet and considerate environment for Lehman College students, faculty, and staff.
- For those who drive, be sure to display your current parking permit and have your proximity parking access card handy to enter the parking lot. For those who do not have a parking permit and access card, they must be purchased at the Campus Activities Office, room 078 in Shuster Hall. Please be aware that in order to park in any of the Lehman College parking lots, you must have a current parking decal. Please do not park illegally, e.g. double parking, blocking college driveways.
- Do not leave valuables in plain view in your vehicle. Cars should be parked in well-lit areas and kept secured at all times.
- When walking, entering the campus or parking areas, use the pedestrian walkways not driveways. When walking on or off campus, be conscious of approaching vehicle traffic.
- Travel in groups whenever possible.
Be aware of your surroundings and report any unusual behaviors or incidents to Public Safety. We, at Public Safety, wish all a safe and successful semester and look forward to providing service to the Lehman college community.