Public Safety at Lehman College
Welcome to the Fall 2021 semester. The Department of Public Safety would like to provide the college community with the goal and core values of our department. We, at Public Safety, strive to provide a safe and secure working and learning environment for those who seek personal advancement and growth. With this in mind, the following contact information, campus information and security reminders is provided:
Central Communication Station - Gate #5:
Emergency/24 hour: 718-960-7777
APEX Building, Room 109:
Monday - Thursday 9:00AM - 7:00PM; Friday 9:00AM - 6:00PM (when classes are in session)
Saturdays, Sundays, and holidays: Closed
- To preserve a campus environment that is conducive to the pursuit of educational goals in support of the College’s mission.
- To ensure the personal safety of all College constituencies and protection of all College facilities and equipment.
- To support a campus culture that values the diverse backgrounds of all College constituencies.
- To keep abreast of emerging technologies and practices in the public safety field.
The Department of Public Safety’s core values are harmonious with the College’s values, which include integrity, teamwork, dedication to excellence, leadership, service to the college community and respect for the individual. Our core values provide us with a means of not only guiding, but also evaluating our operations, our planning, and our vision for the future.
Lehman’s Department of Public Safety supports the College's mission by helping to maintain a safe environment for its students, faculty, staff, and visitors. We aim to create a student-centered and learning-centered campus where students from all backgrounds feel welcome and able to achieve their educational goals.
Campus Information and Security Reminders
Lehman College Photo ID Card System
Lehman College is an open campus. Having a Lehman College ID card helps Public Safety to identify trespassers. Public Safety now have mobile devices that officers can use to scan Lehman ID cards at events or while conducting patrols. The benefits of this system includes the more effective use of resources and improved service to students, faculty, and staff.
- Lehman College ID cards should be obtained as soon as possible. The I.D. Schedule is posted on a monthly basis.
- Lehman College ID cards no longer need to be validated. The Divisions of Administration and Finance and Information Technology have worked with Public Safety to upgrade the ID card system to facilitate the electronic and mobile validation of ID cards on the Lehman College campus.
- When Lehman students, faculty and staff enter locations where ID cards need to be displayed, you are now asked to swipe your card. These locations include the Library, the Student Life Building, the IT Center, the Student Health Center, the APEX Building and Gate 5. When swiping at any of these locations, the system will display a brief validation screen with ID information that is either green or red in color. In limited cases where the screen is red, you will be asked to provide your EMPL number before being allowed entry. If you do not know your EMPL number, you will be asked to go to the Public Safety office.
- Secure your personal property. Do not leave valuable items unattended (cellphones, laptops, iPods, etc.). Carefully monitor and secure your wallet, purse, credit cards, driver's license and Lehman ID card.
- When in the Library, please follow the etiquette policy (policy can be found on the Library website) in order to promote a quiet and considerate environment for Lehman College students, faculty, and staff.
- For those who drive, be sure to display your current parking permit and have your proximity parking access card handy to enter the parking lot. For those who do not have a parking permit and access card, they must be purchased at the Campus Activities Office, room 078 in Shuster Hall. Please be aware that in order to park in any of the Lehman College parking lots, you must have a current parking decal. Please do not park illegally, e.g. double parking, blocking college driveways.
- Do not leave valuables in plain view in your vehicle.
- When walking, entering the campus or parking areas, use the pedestrian walkways not driveways. When walking on or off campus, be conscious of approaching vehicle traffic.
Be aware of your surroundings and report any unusual behaviors or incidents to Public Safety.
We, at Public Safety, wish all a safe and successful semester and look forward to providing service to the Lehman college community.