Welcome to the Student Affairs Basic Needs Center
Our Mission: The Student Affairs Basic Needs Center aims to directly support students’ well-being and provide a positive academic environment, regardless of personal challenges. We aim to reduce and eliminate the burdens food or housing insecurity cause, and increase our students access to food, clothing, technology, financial support and a comprehensive set of holistic resources that will help our students overcome basic needs insecurity and meet their personal and academic goals.
- Streamline Services & Educate Students will have a point of contact who can inform, guide and/or help them address basic needs and emergencies.
- Support Students and Engage Students will foster caring relationships based on trust and accountability.
- Empower Students Students will be better equipped to make informed choices and develop more agency towards self-advocacy and accessing services that address their basic needs.
- The Carroll and Milton Petrie Student Emergency Grant Fund
- The LCU Foundation Housing Grant
- The Student Affairs Emergency Grant (MetroCards; Clean Rite)
- Lehman College Textbook Voucher / Course Materials Voucher
- Students can request to utilize a laptop for up to a year
- Laptop or Table Request Form
- Work with IT – System in place
- Has served over 100,737 meals to Lehman Students
- Provide healthy and nutritious food to all Lehman students
- Grocery Bag or Grab and Go (Grains, Fruits/Vegetables, Dairy, Protein)
- Wednesday–10am –8pm & Thursdays 10am - 4pm
CUNY Citizenship Now at Lehman College
- Free consultations & Application Assistance with:
- Full and Partial Fee Waiver Requests
- Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) and more
Basic Needs Center Takes A TRIAGE Approach to helping students in crisis by informing them of free resources here on campus:
- Ensures access to all areas of campus life
- Arrange for appropriate academic adjustments, programs and services
- Most services free of charge
- Office visits
- Nutrition Counseling
- Health Insurance Application Assistance
- SNAP Benefits Application Assistance
- Counseling and Crisis Resources
- Individual Counseling or Group Events
- Stress, Anxiety, Depression, and more
- Career Closet
- Resume Writing
- Career guidance and Post Grad opportunities
Basic Needs Center and CUNY CARES
- CUNY CARES: Comprehensive Access to Resources and Essential Services CUNY Cares aims to increase access to essential needs for students on all 3 of Bronx CUNY campuses. They will help support the Basic Needs Center by connecting Lehman students with on and off-campus public benefits such as:
- Housing: Community-based organizations that specialize in eviction prevention and provide financial assistance
- Food: SNAP (food stamps) and nearby food pantries on and off campus.
- Financial Assistance: Public benefits and emergency grants on-campus and in the community.
- Mental Health: Our Navigator Specialist assists with connecting to clinicians
- Health Insurance: Health insurance and healthcare services both on-campus and in the community.
- Career Development: Career services and work force development on campus and in the community
- Basic Needs Center Location:Third floor of Old Gymnasium Building (Suite 302) w/UMLP Suite
- CUNY CARES Location: Conference Room Third floor of Old Gymnasium Building (Room 302)
- Lehman Food Bank: Student Life Building (Room 108)
Scheduling an Appointment
Instructions for CURRENTLY ENROLLED STUDENTS (undergraduate and graduate)
- Sign in to Lehman Navigate using your CUNY login, or access Lehman Navigate via the App Store, Google Play, or the Lehman College mobile app.
- Look for Student Support Services and you will find the Basic Needs Center
- Go to “Schedule an Appointment.” (In the mobile app version, click “Appointments” and then “Schedule an Appointment.” In the web browser version, just click “Schedule an Appointment.”)
- Select your appointment type. Then choose from available days/times and schedule your appointment
Baraka Corley, Director
Old Gymnasium Building, Room 302D