What is a 1098T?
A 1098T is an IRS tuition statement form issued to eligible students each tax year by a college or university. The statement indicates the total amount of qualified tuition and fees paid from January 1st to December 31st of each calendar year.
Who is eligible to receive a 1098T form?
Students who make qualifying out-of-pocket payments toward their tuition and fees for a particular calendar year are eligible to receive a 1098T form. Qualified tuition and related expenses are tuition, fees, and course materials required for a student to be enrolled at or attend an eligible educational institution.
However, you will not be eligible if:
- You are receiving federal grants, scholarships or third-party payments that meet or exceed your total tuition amount for the entire calendar year.
- You are receiving loans to cover tuition for a particular semester, but the loans disburse during a different calendar year.
The following are not qualified tuition and related expenses:
Charges and fees for room, board, insurance, medical expenses (including student health fees), transportation, and similar personal, living, or family expenses.
For additional information please visit the IRS website.
How Can I Access My 1098T Form?
You may access and print your 1098T form directly from your CUNYfirst account by following these steps or click here:
- Log in to CUNYfirst.
- Select Student Center.
- Under the Finances section, click "other financial" from the dropdown menu, and select "View 1098-T".
- Turn off your pop-up blocker to allow the report to appear.
- If you are not eligible to receive a 1098T Form for that year, then "No Data Available" will appear next to the year.