- Complete CITI Human Subjects Training (yourself and all staff)
- Submit a completed application via IRBManager
- If Exempt, submission deadlines do NOT apply. The HRPP Coordinator will review it and inform you of the decision, usually within one week of receipt. If revisions are necessary, they will be forwarded to you via IDEATE. Please note that every effort is made to move this process along. However, the speed of completion is dependent upon your speed of response to revisions.
- If Expedited, submission deadlines do NOT apply. Your application will be sent to a CUNY expedited reviewer for review and the HRPP Coordinator from your campus will inform you of the decision, usually within two weeks of receipt. If revisions are necessary, they will be forwarded to you via IDEATE. Please note that every effort is made to move this process along. However, the speed of completion is dependent upon your speed of response to revisions.
- If Full* review is needed, please adhere to submission deadlines. Your proposal will be reviewed at the next scheduled meeting. You are encouraged to be available to answer any questions the committee may have during the meeting. You will be informed of time and meeting locations. If minor revisions are needed, your proposal will be approved awaiting your revisions. If substantive revisions are needed, your proposal needs to be revised and resubmitted for the next meeting.
- For all, you must also secure IRB approval from any institution where you will be collecting data. If you are Lehman faculty or staff, you must secure Lehman approval first.
* Full Review
If your research presents more than minimal risk or does not meet the qualifications for Exempt or Expedited review you will need to apply for Full Review. Examples of research that would require full review are listed below.
- Research that might put subjects at more than minimal risk
- Research involving deception that might have adverse effects on the subjects
- Interviews or surveys on sensitive or illegal topics
- Research involving vulnerable populations; e.g. minors, prisoners, pregnant females, and the mentally incompetent (Research involving minors can meet Expedited Review qualifications or occasionally exempt qualifications.)
Please refer to the CUNY HRPP Policies and Procedures page for further details.