Lehman College and the Pre-Health Professions
Whether you are just finishing high school, transferring from a community college, returning to college after years in the workforce, or following an alternative trajectory, Lehman College is a great place to pursue your studies in preparation for a career as a doctor, dentist, veterinarian, pharmacist, optometrist, physician assistant, occupational therapist, or physical therapist.
- A World-Class Undergraduate Education
- A Proven Track Record
- Affiliation Agreements
- A Diverse Community
- Support and Guidance at Every Step
- Affordable Excellence
A bachelor's degree is the first step toward a career in the health professions, as well as an accomplishment in its own right. At Lehman, a tradition of close interaction between faculty and students, quality teaching, and cutting-edge research and scholarship provide a strong foundation for professional work. We offer courses in more than fifty disciplines, including:
- Sciences such as biology, chemistry, and physics. The rigorous courses provide a necessary grounding for the health professions. Advanced courses allow for more in-depth study, while research opportunities allow undergraduates to experience the excitement of scientific work first-hand.
- Social sciences such as anthropology, psychology, sociology, and economics, and studies in particular cultures including African and African American, Judaic, Italian-American, Latin American, and Puerto Rican. As medical professions increasingly stress treating patients as more than just a collection of symptoms, these courses provide important context.
- Humanities and fine arts such as philosophy and theater. These courses can both improve communications skills and help future professional think about "the big questions," including medical ethics and issues surrounding end-of-life care.
- Vocationally-oriented disciplines such as business administration, social work, and journalism. These fields can combine with a professional degree for powerful synergies.
- Allied health fields such as exercise science, public health, nursing, and dietetics, food, and nutrition.
Below is a partial list of schools our students got in to this year. Each school on this list accepted multiple Lehman students for entry in 2018.
- Albert Einstein College of Medicine
- Dr. Kiran C. Patel College of Osteopathic Medicine (Nova Southeastern)
- Geisel School of Medicine (Dartmouth)
- Georgetown University School of Medicine
- George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences
- Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai
- Jacobs School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences (University of Buffalo)
- Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences
- Massachusetts College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences
- New York Institute of Technology College of Osteopathic Medicine
- New York Medical College
- New York University College of Dentistry
- Nova Southeastern College of Dental Medicine
- Rutgers New Jersey Medical School
- Salus University
- SUNY Downstate College of Medicine
- SUNY Upstate Medical University
- Touro College of Dental Medicine
- Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine
- University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine
- University of Maryland School of Dentistry
- The Warren Alpert Medical School (Brown)
- Wayne State University School of Medicine
New York Institute of Technology College of Medicine
Lehman College has two affiliation agreements with the NYIT College of Medicine.
- Freshmen who enter Lehman with strong academic credentials and maintain them throughout their first three years can apply to the NYIT College of Medicine for entry after their junior year through the 7-year Pre-Med/Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine Program, saving a year off the conventional route!
- Juniors with strong academic credentials can receive an interview with NYIT College of Medicine, bypassing the usual application process, through the Admissions Early Interview Program.
University at Buffalo School of Pharmacy
Students willing to commit to a rigorous academic curriculum can, through this program, count their first year in the Doctor of Pharmacy program at the University at Buffalo School of Pharmacy toward their final year of undergraduate work at Lehman, thus reducing the total years of schooling needed by one. Freshmen and students who transferred to Lehman as sophomores are eligible to apply for this program.
Touro College of Pharmacy
Students willing to commit to a rigorous academic curriculum can, through this program, count their first year in the Doctor of Pharmacy program at the Touro College of Pharmacy toward their final year of undergraduate work at Lehman, thus reducing the total years of schooling needed by one. Freshmen and students who transferred to Lehman as sophomores are eligible to apply for this program.
New York Medical College School of Health Sciences and Practice Department of Physical Therapy (NEW!)
Undergraduate students with strong academic credentials interested in pursuing a career in physical therapy can apply for the Early Acceptance program at the New York Medical College School of Health Sciences and Practice Department of Physical Therapy. Under this agreement, qualifying students will be interviewed by December 1 and informed of whether they are accepted by December 15.
Professional schools, including medical schools, increasingly seek applicants who have experience with people from a diverse set of cultures and backgrounds. At Lehman, you'll take courses with students from a diverse set of backgrounds and identities, including international students from sixty different countries. Working with people with a wide variety of ethnicities, sexual orientations, religions, and socioeconomic statuses will improve your chances of getting in to the professional school of your choice and make you a better health care professional. Not to mention how much fun it is to learn with and from such diverse colleagues!
The Office of Pre-Health Advising provides support to our students at every step, from selecting a profession to preparing for an interview. See the Our Services page for more information.
Because Lehman College is part of the City University of New York, tuition is affordable. The rate is even lower for residents of New York State!