Optional Practical Training (OPT)
BEFORE YOU BEGIN OPT WORK YOU MUST RECEIVE AUTHORIZATION FROM THE ISSO & U.S. CITIZENSHIP AND IMMIGRATION SERVICES (USCIS). YOU MUST CONSULT YOUR ISSO ADVISOR FOR OPT AUTHORIZATION.
General Eligibility Criteria:
1. Have you been lawfully enrolled on a full-time basis at Lehman College?
2. Are you currently maintaining F-1 status?
3. Is your proposed practical training directly related to your major area of study?
- If you answer yes to all of the questions you may be eligible to apply for OPT.
- If you answered no to any of the above questions please consult with our International Student Advisor/Designated School Official (DSO)
F-1 OPT Requirements:
Are you applying for Pre-Completion / before you graduate OPT?
Are you applying for Post-Completion / after your graduate OPT?
Pre-completion OPT allows you to work while you are still studying in college.
Post-completion OPT allows you to work after you graduate.
As an F-1 student you may be authorized up to a total of 12 months of full-time practical training at each educational level (e.g., undergraduate, graduate and post-graduate).
NOTE: Keep in mind that, any periods of Pre-Completion OPT, whether part- or full-time, are deducted from the total 12-month OPT period.
Please consult with our International Student Advisor/Designated School Official (DSO) for eligibility and for infomation about the entire application process.