Lehman L.I.F.E. (Leaders Involved For Everyone)
Lehman L.I.F.E. supports service opportunities for students by creating awareness of need in communities around the world and fostering action through volunteer work. Our main goal is to increase awareness of issues affecting humanity from our campus to the global society.
Students have traveled to Dominican Republic, New Orleans, Virginia Beach, Cincinnati, Mexico, Costa Rica, and Kenya to perform community service efforts and aid other communities in their own sustainability. Each year, we begin planning for the following academic year's trips. If you would like to get involved, please contact our office right away!
Students are required to fundraise or pay for 100% of their Lehman L.I.F.E. experience
Spring Break 2014 (April 12th – April 22nd, 2014)
- Pine Ridge Indian Reservation - South Dakota
- Students Helping Honduras
- Trip Requirements for All Students
Pine Ridge Indian Reservation - South Dakota
Volunteering with RE-MEMBER is an emotional and life-changing event. During your visit to Pine Ridge Reservation, you will witness the extreme poverty afflicting the Lakota people of Pine Ridge.
You will work. There's plenty of work to be done around Pine Ridge Reservation! Building bunk beds, repairing leaking roofs, and skirting trailers are just a few of the projects you may encounter during your volunteer trip to RE-MEMBER. It can be difficult for many of our volunteers to see the conditions that many Oglala Lakota families of Pine Ridge call home. Many children have never slept on a bed with a mattress of their own - many sleep on the floor, or in shared beds. Through our 'Bunk Beds for Children program', our volunteers and staff construct hundreds of beds each year. Each step of the process - from constructing the wood frame to placing the pillow - is more than just part of "building a bed". You are helping to rebuild a relationship, and provide hope for the future of the Oglala Lakota children of Pine Ridge Indian Reservation.
To create a more tolerable environment for the people living in trailers, our volunteers install a "skirting" underneath the trailer. This enclosure, makes the home warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer. Some regions of Pine Ridge, South Dakota are lacking the basic infrastructure to provide water and sewer for homes. In order to provide a more livable environment, we construct outhouses for people living on the reservation. Because of the extreme poverty found on Pine Ridge, those who are fortunate enough to live in a home, usually cannot afford to maintain it. In fact, most of these "homes" are not even houses or trailers - they are shelters without running water, windows, doors, or even heating.
Having adequate shelter is a necessity of life. Unfortunately, it is not the reality on the reservation. Working together, our volunteers and staff help to provide a more human living environment by building or repairing roofs, plumbing, and many other common home needs.
- Roofing Indoor plumbing General Maintenance & Repairs Minor residential construction
Students Helping Honduras
- 1,000 Schools
We work with partner villages in rural Honduras to construct schools, build additional classrooms, and provide school supplies.
- A sustainable village for 43 families who use to live in El Progreso's largest shantytown.
- A safe shelter for children who have been orphaned, abandoned, or otherwise can't live with their families
Day 1: Arrival into San Pedro Sula (airport code SAP)
- Our staff will be waiting for you at the airport and drive you to El Progreso. You will spend the evening at your hotel with your fellow volunteers and relax. Dinner and orientation will be at the hotel.
Day 2: Project visits
- Visit our various projects in El Progreso to meet the families and children. For lunch, learn to make a typical Honduran meal with a local family. Depending on the weather, we may play a fun game of soccer in the afternoon against a local team. There will be a group activity in the evening.
Day 3 – 6: At the worksite
- After breakfast in the hotel at 8am, work from 9am to 5pm at your worksite. You will work side by side with fellow volunteers, professional masons and family members from the community. There will be plenty of opportunities for you to practice your Spanish, spend time with the kids, and even help teach English. Lunch is served at the worksite. There is usually an optional barefoot soccer game in late afternoon. After dinner in the hotel, we will have a cultural activity each evening such as dance lessons, movie night, soccer games and much more.
Day 7: Field trip to Caribbean beaches of Tela
- Relax in the Caribbean beaches of Tela, just 50 minutes away from El Progreso. Some of the families and children will accompany us on the trip. There will be a goodbye party in the evening.
- Time to go home. Our staff members will be taking multiple trips to the airport.
Trip Requirements for All Students
The Lehman L.I.F.E application for Spring 2014 is now closed.
- Turn in Application by Tuesday, October 1st at 4PM to Office Of Community Engagement
- Completing 25 hours of service with Community Engagement before November 25th. (Returners must still complete 2 programs)
- One volunteer project must be the NYC Marathon on November 3, 2013 from 7:30am-4pm
- Participating in all pre-trip meetings – These are mandatory.
- Deposit of Airfare due by November 25th, 2013.
- Maintain a minimum of 2.5 GPA.
- Fundraising as an individual and with the group to cover the cost of my trip.
- Paying the balance remaining on my account, after fundraising is calculated.
First time participants may only apply for the national trip International trip is only available to returning Lehman LIFE participants
Attending the Alternative Spring Break trip in full
Signing and returning the appropriate liability release forms
Signing and abiding by the alcohol and substance use agreement
Fulfilling immunization requirements if necessary for trip location.
Packing my enthusiasm and commitment
Being a responsible and involved group member
Having a positive attitude throughout the entire Lehman LIFE process
**ALL COSTS ARE APPROXIMATE UNTIL WE HAVE A DEFINITE PARTICIPANT LIST AND BOOK AIRFARE