Skip to Main Content Skip to Main Navigation
search this website
search this website

Lehman College Logo Click Here to go back to Homepage

International Student Services at Lehman College

Changing to F-1 Student Status in the U.S.

Before you apply for your Form I-20 Before you apply for a change of status to F-1, contact an International Student Advisor at Lehman College to determine your eligibility.

If you currently are in the U.S. in another status and want to change to F-1 student status without leaving the U.S., you are eligible to apply for a change of status to USCIS (Immigration and Citizenship Services). If approved, your status will be changed to F-1 while you remain in the United States.

Before you apply for your Form I-20 ELIGIBILITY

You can change to F-1 student status if you are legally maintaining your current immigration status at the time of application.

You are NOT eligible to change your status if:

1) You last entered the U.S. under the visa waiver program (ESTA).

2) You are in J-1 status subject to the two-year home residency requirement. This prohibits you from changing status in the U.S.

3) Your current status will end more than 30 days before the start date of your F or J program.

You can, however, leave the U.S., apply for an F-1 visa and then re-enter the U.S. to obtain F-1 status.